cedar beddibg for chicks???

tmpshrty96

Songster
10 Years
Jul 24, 2009
i have some quail and bantam chicks that just hatched. i was wondering if i could use cedar bedding in the brooder for the chicks? it was the only thing they had at freds? also i was wondering how long it would take for them to dry enough to put them in the brooder box? cuz they keep kicking around the other eggs im scared if they keep rolling then like that they wont hatch

I have read on this site that the fumes from the cedar can be toxic to chickens, so no, I wouldn't use cedar chips.

A lot of people on this site just use paper towels for the first few days changing then daily and then pine chips or something similar.

Hope that helps! Good Luck w/your chickies!!

Agree with the poster above! Paper towels work great and make the cleanup super easy. Cedar shavings just aren't a great idea when they're itty bitty. Try to find pine horse bedding- works great and affordable.

NO cedar! And let them kick the eggs around, it seems to encourage hatching. Also, whistle and chirp at the eggs. Seems to help motivate them, just don't do it 24/7, since they do need to rest.

Happy hatching!
jumpy.gif

I agree with the other posts. I have read that cedar is toxic to chickens. Pine shavings are best. In my brooder I put a layer of pine pellets then a doggie pee pad then landscape fabric on top. I put the pine on the bottom to keep the chicks from eating it. The doggie pee pads absorb the moisture and are easy enough to throw out. The landscape fabric is cheap, easy to cut out the size I need and provides grip for them to walk around. Chicks need grip on the floor so that they don't end up with leg problems.

I use puppy pads for the first couple weeks I then use aspen or pine bedding! The puppy pads are so easy to use, just roll up and put in new!! Yes cedar bedding is bad for chicks and other small animals, very dangerous to them.

Back
Top Bottom