Cedar trees in run, bad idea?

annampet

Songster
Jul 2, 2018
NE Michigan
Hi there!
We'll be moving in the fall and I was scoping out areas for my coop and run. The property has an old, excellent condition shed on the property that would convert to a great coop, it has power already and it's in a good location. However there is a group of cedar trees directly behind it that would be incorporated in to the run area.
I remembered seeing something about cedar being toxic to chickens. Is it just shavings because of the smell and oils? Would having cedar trees in the run area be harmful to my chickens?
Thanks for your advice!

Hi there!
We'll be moving in the fall and I was scoping out areas for my coop and run. The property has an old, excellent condition shed on the property that would convert to a great coop, it has power already and it's in a good location. However there is a group of cedar trees directly behind it that would be incorporated in to the run area.
I remembered seeing something about cedar being toxic to chickens. Is it just shavings because of the smell and oils? Would having cedar trees in the run area be harmful to my chickens?
Thanks for your advice!
The trees would be fine. It aromatic cedar that is the problem.
Congratulations on the great property with a shed to convert!!

The only problem that might crop up would be the trees providing a landing perch for hawks and owls. Maybe. Maybe the trees are so dense that larger birds wouldn't want to perch there. Are there trees just outside the proposed run, where things like raccoons or fisher cats could use to gain access? I would love to have trees in my run. Even shrubs or bushes. Weeds or grass would be nice, as well, lol.

The only problem that might crop up would be the trees providing a landing perch for hawks and owls. Maybe. Maybe the trees are so dense that larger birds wouldn't want to perch there. Are there trees just outside the proposed run, where things like raccoons or fisher cats could use to gain access? I would love to have trees in my run. Even shrubs or bushes. Weeds or grass would be nice, as well, lol.

The canopy is really dense so I'm thinking the larger predators would be deterred. There could be raccoons and others so I'm still working things out. I'd like to keep the trees, they provide a block from the neighbors and camouflage the wiring from the road to the house.
I'm planning an automatic coop door, so night times should be secure.

Thanks for the feedback!

Not sure at all how you could secure the run with trees grown up in it. You might think the density of the tree would be a deterrent but it would be a matter of no time before predators would climb through the tree to get to your chickens.

Not sure at all how you could secure the run with trees grown up in it. You might think the density of the tree would be a deterrent but it would be a matter of no time before predators would climb through the tree to get to your chickens.

I'm still thinking through things and this is certainly on top of my list. It would be more like a fenced yard than a true run if we leave it in this location and don't cut down the trees.

The trees would be fine. It aromatic cedar that is the problem.
Congratulations on the great property with a shed to convert!!
Ditto Dat^^^

Might want to run the run next to the trees, so you can put a mesh roof on the run to deter predators or a solid roof to keep snow load out of the run.

I have seen 2 different tree in run solutions.

One used a bunch of fish net sewed together and then put over the trees....think circus tent with the trees as supports.

The net was thick deep sea fishnet, so good against most stuff up here. Might not be good against raccoons though.

The second solution I saw they used 2x4 welded wire and pieced it around the tree trunks...letting the trunks grow up through the wire. Old bicycle tires were used to protect the trunks.
I would think the welded wire would keep out everything except weasels, rodents, and snakes.

Back
Top Bottom