Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Howdy, I’ve been around just reviewing forums. Update: All four chickens that I have been raising have been well. Alberta, my one winged chicken due to a fox attack years back (I think two years ago around Thanksgiving) will be three years old in July and has been one of my best egg layers. Quite the sweetheart that loves to be carried and sleep on laps. My two Easter eggers Marga and Becky have reached 3 years around March 21. Those two are very responsive to routines. Fredita my other hen that was hatched the same time as Alberta but was given to someone to be returned back has been very accepting of her one-winged sister the past two years and will be celebrating her three years with Alberta on July. Apologies, no pics of Marga and Becky at this time.
They look like they are enjoying that raised garden bed.

Morning!! We bought a new house and in between had to live in an apartment so I found a new home for all my chickens and helped our friend move our coops and runs and all other things chickens to their property. We have room for chickens again, but cold New England winters and traveling for work has me rethinking the time I can devote to raising my feathered friends. No chickens now but maybe in a few years or when I retire in 20. ☺️
Have fun traveling now while you can!

Well, my husband’s office FINALLY made an official return to office policy this February, so it appeared that our dreams of moving to the country were actually within reach. We met with real estate agents and builders and were about to shop for loans - when the policy was abruptly reversed. So…I guess I have plenty of time to continue my research into best practices of chicken care and the breeds which might be best for us.
Start here: Large Coops
You'll want a walk in style coop for sure.

I appreciate the check in. I've been away from home and my chicks for college for about 3 years now but my parents send me updates and the flock is doing well and laying more eggs than they can eat!
Graduating next year?

Welcome back! Do you still have quail? I remember I think you used to post in the quail hatching thread.

Awesome that you're keeping bees now! I've been interested in doing that, but have never pulled the trigger on it.
I still have a couple that are technically mine. But not at home here. They are getting old. Don't know how much longer they'll last. I need to introduce new blood into the mix if I want to continue hatching these.

My advice on bees is don't spend any more money on them than you have to. There are hives that can be built very easily from scrap (KHTB, Layens, Long Langstroth). In most areas you can catch swarms in bait boxes/swarm traps for free. If something doesn't pan out, you're out very little money. There's a lot more stuff out to get bees than there is for chickens.

Hi! We’re doing fine here. We’ve added some big chickens to our bantams in the past few years and it’s been working out great. We have 13 total chickens right now. We also got a little B&B Old English Game Bantam roo who’s super adorable. He immediately became besties with our OEGB hen. They’re a sweet pair. Thinking of expanding our run so the chickums can enjoy some grass and bugs again! We’d like to include a connecting door so we can let them out to forage in the grass, but also close it off to allow the grass to recover. We have too many hawks and a nearby eagle to let the littles free range.
Thanks for stopping by! Glad you are doing well!

Hi everybody! I'm here to check in with you all after a while. Right now I'm chilling with my cayuga duck and blue swedish drake (who has recently become obsessed with his own reflection after he discovered it in a ground-level window!) I'm hoping to dig a pond soon and add some more members to our flock. (It's also looking to be a good bee season for us, just caught a new swarm!)
Thanks for stopping by! Glad you are doing well!

Back
Top Bottom