EggMan207

Chirping
Apr 24, 2017
I've been feeding my hens cheese sticks broken up into little chunks... they go absolutely crazy over it. They all compete for the chunks... and if they see me come outside they run/fly to me as fast as they can just to see if I have any. I'm assuming they like the protein and calcium... just thought I'd share.

I'm not talking about Mozzarella sticks from a restaurant. I'm talking about the ones you might pack in your lunch.... string cheese. They cost like $2 for an entire package. It's not like we all pack into the truck and have a nice dinner at TGI Friday's lol. I read about people feeding them yogurt and other dairy, so I tried the cheese sticks. I try to make sure most of their diet comes from their pellets and/or anything they forage, but they love the string cheese.

I'm not talking about Mozzarella sticks from a restaurant. I'm talking about the ones you might pack in your lunch.... string cheese. They cost like $2 for an entire package. It's not like we all pack into the truck and have a nice dinner at TGI Friday's lol. I read about people feeding them yogurt and other dairy, so I tried the cheese sticks. I try to make sure most of their diet comes from their pellets and/or anything they forage, but they love the string cheese.

I wonder if restaurants would allow chickens as guests instead of on the plates...perhaps in some nice baby high chairs...lol

Could you just imagine chickens at an all you can eat buffet? Chicken heaven.

I've been feeding my hens cheese sticks broken up into little chunks... they go absolutely crazy over it. They all compete for the chunks... and if they see me come outside they run/fly to me as fast as they can just to see if I have any. I'm assuming they like the protein and calcium... just thought I'd share.
I do thank you for sharing, my girls need so little from me except the big treat is the coop door opened!

We lost power for a few days last weekend due to the "cyclone bomb" storm that rolled through town. To be safe, we tossed all the dairy products in the fridge.

The chickens got everything...milk, shredded cheese, sour cream, and cheese sticks. They wiped out every bit of it!

My chickens absolutely love cheese, and they get a bit as an occasional treat, but never a lot or very often.
Keep in mind: Mammals are meant to digest dairy, birds aren't.
It may not be very harmful in the short term, but in the long term? Maybe. Birds do not naturally eat dairy, in fact it is a totally unnatural food for them to eat.
A little bit of cheese every now and then is fine, but just don't overdo it. Any food fed to chickens should be fed in moderation :)

Back
Top Bottom