chick escape places/hiding spot ideas

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
so I am getting my chicks the end of this week (tomorrow or Sat) and putting them in the coop brooder on Tue. I would like to build or at least put in a few escape places for them for when I open the door to let them with the big girls.

I saw someone built a little "stand" with legs and pallet boards or whatever on top that they can run under so I want to do that. How high should I make it?

I have a couple milk crates in the run already that they may fit in the handle spot but not sure if it will be big enough.

I was thinking of once they are out of the tote brooder I could cut little doors in the side of that and use that in the run for them to go in and out of. I could even put a door on each of the 4 sides.

What are some other good ideas to give them that won't really take up "room" but more add to the run?

Think the coop would be good with their brooder box once I do escape doors when they are bigger and the little stand.

Oh I also have a broody in a nest box that I am giving eggs to (a few of hers and I ordered some that should be in anytime from Sat-Tue so will give them to her Sun-Wed after they sit). Should I make sure those are hatched before I let the other chicks out of their brooder?

We had a giant hollow log, cut in half, and placed in the run opposite their brooder pen. They could get under, but the adults were too big to follow. We also cut 2 little doors, one on the south end and one on the west side of it, in their brooder pen with a little flap door. The frame around the portal doors acted like visual clues to help them get in to their brooder, but again, the adults didn’t fit. You could put a cardboard box with a chick sized opening in the side of it Like a huddle box.

3269DA53-B53C-432E-8DBA-E96CC94D911D.jpeg

Door into brooder pen, showing the opening, framing, and flap cover.

67C95564-A59E-4D90-BC17-0859A0EEA30B.jpeg

Showing part of the “chick log”. The other half was on the ground just outside the run for them to use when they were out free-ranging with the adults.

4EFCB239-1ACC-4F10-987A-0BA00351997C.jpeg

The other half of that log, and my 4 week old Silkie chicks out free-ranging. Ignore the bricks….they were just there temporarily until we got them moved, and the chicks could still get under their log.

We had a giant hollow log, cut in half, and placed in the run opposite their brooder pen. They could get under, but the adults were too big to follow. We also cut 2 little doors, one on the south end and one on the west side of it, in their brooder pen with a little flap door. The frame around the portal doors acted like visual clues to help them get in to their brooder, but again, the adults didn’t fit. You could put a cardboard box with a chick sized opening in the side of it Like a huddle box.

View attachment 3063050
Door into brooder pen, showing the opening, framing, and flap cover.

View attachment 3063052
Showing part of the “chick log”. The other half was on the ground just outside the run for them to use when they were out free-ranging with the adults.

View attachment 3063056
The other half of that log, and my 4 week old Silkie chicks out free-ranging. Ignore the bricks….they were just there temporarily until we got them moved, and the chicks could still get under their log.
Thank you for the ideas!!! Glad I have a few weeks to come up with some things for them!

The littles grow so quickly! Plan ahead for some escape places for when they get bigger too. Anything they can get behind can work. Breaking the line of sight is the key thing. A good example is a pallet or board leaning against the side of the run.

One thing to watch for though, is to be sure that whatever they can get behind is NOT a dead end trap.

The littles grow so quickly! Plan ahead for some escape places for when they get bigger too. Anything they can get behind can work. Breaking the line of sight is the key thing. A good example is a pallet or board leaning against the side of the run.

One thing to watch for though, is to be sure that whatever they can get behind is NOT a dead end trap.
Good points! Clear access is critical, and so is making sure there’s no risk of anything falling on them.

With the log in our run, it’s been pretty simple to just use a child’s garden rake and pull a little litter out from under it to accommodate the growing, taller chicks. Then when we have new chicks, we just push some back under there. It’s also open at both ends.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I knew there had to be pictures and couldn't find much doing a search. This is my run right now, well most of it. There is a small section you can't see from the camera angle and also an 8x8 section under the coop. I need to get out there and fix the wood and was planning on adding more roosts as well. Will the babies be ok with the ramp???

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220414-193922.png
    Screenshot_20220414-193922.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom