Chicken found dead with a single puncture to the chest.

Her body looked completely fine other than that one puncture. She was laying in the dirt where she likes to take dust baths.

Do you still have her body where you could do a necropsy and explore the wound? You could keep the body cold until you could do that. Chickens don’t always have a lot of blood from wounds.

We are so distraught! We just found our almost 1 year old Barred Rock dead with no sign of anything wrong except for a small matted area in her chest feathers with a small puncture wound a little smaller than a pencil eraser. We have no idea what could have happened but we have 2 others and we want to keep them safe. Has anyone had a similar experience?
Sorry about your chicken. I am really wondering as well. I hope you can find out what is caused that killing.

Oh no! I hope it wasn't a BB gun. My husband just told me the neighbor boy just got a BB gun. I can't imagine he would do anything like that on purpose though. I really hope not!

Oh no! I hope it wasn't a BB gun. My husband just told me the neighbor boy just got a BB gun. I can't imagine he would do anything like that on purpose though. I really hope not!

Oh dear. It might have been that. One of our neighbour kids' shot another neighours window out with a BB. Of course not on purpose, but carelessness. I would speak with the parents. Especially if he isn't skilled at shooting. My daughter has a BB and it can put a good dent in some surprisingly strong material.

Back
Top Bottom