BrandonMcfly

Songster
Aug 29, 2017
California
Hello I have two cute girl red link chickens and it's been getting cold at night 60s I know not cold everyone but it's cold for us where we live. I let my babies run around outside and everything during the day they also go inside when they'd like during the day but at night I bring them into this real big cage ( that's actually like family rabbit cage so it's big ) inside our house to sleep but I'm worried they will get to cold or sick from it being cold they have bedding , so I have the heat lamp from when they were tiny little babies but I never got to use it much or for to long because when they were smaller it was real hot days, and I was wondering if I can use it now so cold days at night but I am paranoid it'll catch something on fire or I read bedding can combust from the heat . The thing is the cage is in the corner and we hung up the lamp from its clip onto two hooks we nailed into the wall and a third hook for the cord so it wouldn't be pressure on the lamp if the cord hanged. So it's place about the cage a good distance away from it but enough to be warm it's not touching anything at all so there's no way the chickens can jump and drop it since they're in a cage for bedtime or burn their feathers . So is this safe? I'm kinda worried tho can anything catch fire? Do you think the bedding will combust? Can the wall catch fire? The lamp has a metal like covering around it that's how it came and when you touch the metal around it outside it doesn't get hit, and I made sure to watch that they're not panting so that I can know if they're too hot they seem fine , the only other problem is they aren't going to sleep the light is a red heat lamp so I'm not using it until I can know if it's safe or if it'll interrupt their sleep where they maybe not tired or does the light bother them? I'm very careful with my pets I love all my pets like my babies even my 4 dogs are indoor outdoor dogs they sleep inside and have 3 blankets of their own in their bed they love to sleep in and I just want to make sure my chickens are warm as well. :( Sorry For The Long Post just want to make sure I get good advice Oh also they are about to be 3 months old

At temperatures of 60°F, there is NO reason to heat your birds. If you live where temps were so hot that you didn't even need a lamp in the brooder then your chickens probably think the now 60° nights are wonderful.

At temperatures of 60°F, there is NO reason to heat your birds. If you live where temps were so hot that you didn't even need a lamp in the brooder then your chickens probably think the now 60° nights are wonderful.
Really? They wont get sick? Even if it's 50? & even if it sometimes is 60s all day ? What cold temperatures should they be heated just so I can know for future reference sorry these are my first chickens since it feels cold for me and my family including my dogs & turtle I worry about If the chicken are cold ,thank you very much

My chickens are dealing with the 20s at night and the 40s during the day right now... I do not heat them. Your chickens are probably enjoying the night time temps! They'll be fine.

My chickens are dealing with the 20s at night and the 40s during the day right now... I do not heat them. Your chickens are probably enjoying the night time temps! They'll be fine.
Thanks that puts me at ease I'm kind of paranoid & over protective & baby them i try to do the best I can with all my pets :) but I do feel good now

Oh, and for future reference, not knowing where you are... but the temps here in CT can get below freezing at night during January and February. I do not plan on heating my chickens at all. I specifically bought cold hardy girls, and no matter what you have... you should be fine.

Oh, and for future reference, not knowing where you are... but the temps here in CT can get below freezing at night during January and February. I do not plan on heating my chickens at all. I specifically bought cold hardy girls, and no matter what you have... you should be fine.
Thanks! Helps me even more so now I won't worry if it goes a bit lower :)

WOW, you are quite warm by comparison.

We spend several months never getting much above 32 for the highs. We also have lots of nights well below zero in winter.
We do not add heat and everyone is thriving, happy and active.

Remind yourself that even though you may be chilly the birds have feathered coats that they can never take off.

As mentioned, if you bought cold hardy vs. warm tolerant chicks that may sway how they adjust, but that being said I would let them adjust to the temperature changes on their own and they will do much better. I live in NW Indiana, so, well..........Indiana, but I have always read and talked with chicken people that the birds without provided heat do better (sickness, temp changes, etc) Chickens do make their own heat, and do a good job. As long as they are in a sheltered, draft free area with ventilation, they should do fine. Also, if they are used to heat and for some reason lose it (power outage) they may do worse than having adjusted on their own. As for your lamp if you choose to heat, if it is infra red for animals and hung correctly you should be fine. Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom