Chicken with leg/feet problem?? PLEASE HELP

Alyssaushchak

In the Brooder
May 21, 2024
I have a 6 week old chick who I recently noticed has curled toes/nails. I have had chickens my entire life and I never have had this happen to them and her fellow chicks do not have this problem. She can walk around and she does chirping noise. I’m not sure if it is something that she was born with (I just noticed it now), or if she broke her feet. Here is a picture to see it. What do you guys think??
IMG_8065.jpeg
image.jpg

Crooked toes are usually caused by improper hatching conditions and the chicks are born with them or they start to curl a few days after hatching. Caught early on it can be corrected but there is nothing you can do at this age. Most of the time the chick is able to adapt and live a mostly normal life but, in some cases like yours, the toes are too crooked to participate in some chicken activities such as roosting, scratching around in the dirt, and they may not walk as fast. They're also more prone to sores and bumble foot and will need to have their nails trimmed sense they can't file them down their selves. Also, the chick is a cockerel.

Last edited:
Can you try giving her 1/4 tablet daily of crushed human vitamin B complex? Give it in a little egg, feed or water. She may have a riboflavin (B 2) deficiency. It would have been best to have treated this at the first sign, but I would give it a try. It can become permanent and lead to paralysis in some cases if not treated early. If this is discovered right after hatch, sometimes the toes can be taped in a normal position for a few days, which can help. It is too late to attempt that now though, and it would be painful for her.

Back
Top Bottom