Chick's first night in coop!

The Kid Farmer

Chirping
Mar 17, 2022
San Jose, CA
Hi! Our chickens are going to spend their first night outside tonight! I'm a little worried about them going to bed to early, because there aren't that many windows in the coop. Do I need a night-light or will they be fine? Also, do I need food and water in both the coop and the run?

Thanks! :)

Oh! One more thing! I read some websites that said we should shut the chicks in the coop for a couple days to teach them that the coop is where they go to bed, is this true?

How old are they?

No, it won't do any good to keep them cooped up because the coop won't look the same to them once they are outside in the run. You will need to show them how to go inside the coop when evening comes.

If your chicks were sleeping in the dark before moving into the coop, they will not be frightened by the dark. It helps to move chicks into the coop several hours before dark so they still have light to explore their new surroundings and feel comfortable by the time night falls.

A night light for a few nights will help them see the inside of the coop and they will be drawn in by the light. I usually turn the light out after they've gotten settled. After they learn to go in on their own, they will not need the light.

I always have to physically put a few chicks in the coop then I shine a flashlight through the "window" and eventually the rest follow. Usually. Sometimes I have to put them in one by one.

I remember my first night last year. I was so nervous!!!!!!! The chicks did great. me not so much. haahaa. I did have to show mine how to go in the first week or so. Then for whatever reason mine didn't roost FOREVER and just slept in a cuddle puddle on the floor in a corner of the coop. They eventually all started to roost though.

good luck making it through the first couple of nights, it does get easier and a bit less nerve wracking. LOL

I love the term "cuddle puddle"! But my chicks start roosting the same night they move into the coop. I place them on the perch squished as close together as I can get them with the most timid chick against the wall and the boldest chick on the outside of the lineup. I place a hand lightly on their backs, pressing slightly on their heads, and this calms them and makes them sleepy. Once settled on the perch, I shut off the light. Within three nights, they are hopping onto the perch on their own.

People think chicks can't learn to roost until they're much older, but they just need to be taught. When I have had a broody hen raise chicks, she teaches them to roost beside her. I've never had chicks "puddle cuddle" because they've roosted right off. This has been the case for the entire fifteen years I've kept chickens.

I love the term "cuddle puddle"! But my chicks start roosting the same night they move into the coop. I place them on the perch squished as close together as I can get them with the most timid chick against the wall and the boldest chick on the outside of the lineup. I place a hand lightly on their backs, pressing slightly on their heads, and this calms them and makes them sleepy. Once settled on the perch, I shut off the light. Within three nights, they are hopping onto the perch on their own.

People think chicks can't learn to roost until they're much older, but they just need to be taught. When I have had a broody hen raise chicks, she teaches them to roost beside her. I've never had chicks "puddle cuddle" because they've roosted right off. This has been the case for the entire fifteen years I've kept chickens.
I did just about everything. I started with a roost in the brooder at about 2 weeks old which they used to play on during the day (I use a MHP) so even once heat was out or they no longer used it they would just sleep in a cuddle puddle. Moved them to the coop and I would put them in a bit early so they could still see but they didn't roost. made a smaller roosting bar that wasn't quite as high for them and put them on it and they would get off and sleep in their cuddle puddle. They were over 20 weeks and I finally started leaving a light on over the roost and after about a week they all started to use the roost. The next batch I am brooding in the coop and will start them wtih a small roost in the brooder again and hopefully from watching the big ones once they are old enough they will roost up there too. I may make a ramp so it is easier for them to get up since the poop boards are about 19" off the floor.

Back
Top Bottom