Chicks want to sleep inside

OaktownChicks

Hatching
Apr 19, 2024
I have a new set of chicks. They've been in a big plastic tub in my kitchen since they were born. When they were 4 weeks old, they started taking field trips outside, in sight of my existing flock. They are seven weeks old this week and finally met the big hens. All is going well. However, at night they start crying to come sleep in the house. Although they love roaming the yard together all day and are happy to explore the coop, when the sun starts to go down, they cry at the back door of the kitchen to come inside. At what age should I force them to sleep outside? At this point, I just plop them back into the brooder box to sleep.

Maybe it's their brooderbox they are crying for... and you putting them to bed... children always want their loving parents to put them to bed.🤣
7weeks old isn't 2 months yet, and it's probably still quite chilly there at night. If they are well feathered, and you're feeding them high energy supper, you could try putting them all in the brooderbox then tote that box, plus chicks, out and lock it in the coop. Open the box in the morning when you open the coop. Try that for a bit til they go into the coop by themselves. They really need to be wanting to go into the coop and roost before you "just drop them".

We played that game for quite a while, too. I think ours were about 8 or 9 weeks when I finally put my foot down. It was hard to hear their cries. I ended up buying those little stick on lights (the ones that usually go under shelving) and sticking them to the sides of the coop near the roosts. They could be set on a timer to slowly dim over the course of a half hour or so until they were completely off. I thought they really helped.

Back
Top Bottom