Chicks won’t grow, help

Coletrain

Chirping
May 31, 2022
Mocksville
My Coop
My Coop
I made a purchase of chicks 2-3 weeks ago, all bantam silkies, and they haven’t grown a bit. I raised a few bantam silkies before and they did just fine. If it was just one chicken I would think that it was failure to thrive, but this is happening to all 4 of my chicks. I’m feeding them the extract same way I fed my last chickens but they just won’t grow.

I made a purchase of chicks 2-3 weeks ago, all bantam silkies, and they haven’t grown a bit. I raised a few bantam silkies before and they did just fine. If it was just one chicken I would think that it was failure to thrive, but this is happening to all 4 of my chicks. I’m feeding them the extract same way I fed my last chickens but they just won’t grow.
Are they feathering in normally?

What are you feeding them?

What exactly are you feeding them and what exactly are you housing them in?

What exactly are you feeding them and what exactly are you housing them in?
Purina medicated start and grow, and here’s a pic of the brooder
image.jpg

Purina medicated start and grow, and here’s a pic of the brooderView attachment 3131554
What's going on here...did you remove cage walls to take the picture or are they allowed to roam freely...away from the heat lamp?

How hot is it under the lamp?
Can you get clear close up pictures of the birds AND pics of fresh poop.

What's going on here...did you remove cage walls to take the picture or are they allowed to roam freely...away from the heat lamp?

How hot is it under the lamp?
Can you get clear close up pictures of the birds AND pics of fresh poop.
It was particularly cold that night so I had the heat lamp on, it stays about 75 degrees in the cage, wich I know sounds cold for their size but I’ve been raising the lamp about 5 inches every week and they’ve been fine. That’s the enclosure they stay in 24/7
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

welcome to BYC!!
The pics are a bit blurry but it looks like wing feathers are emerging. Are these hatchery birds or purchased eggs? My point being I can imagine that the parent stock will play a role in growth rate.

Is the protein level in the feed is 20%? (not too relevant as you used same feed on prior chicks but helpful to know) Check that feed is not outdated. poops look good, so they are processing the feed. Have you considered fermenting feed? It increased bioavailability of nutrients in the gut and offers more rapid absorption. I just started fermenting starter and give as evening ‘treat’. chicks love it

Back
Top Bottom