Cockerel or Pullet Silkies

EdgeSilkies

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2024
Hey Everyone!

Time to play “What Sex Are My Silkies?!” :woot

They are 7 weeks old. We haven’t named them yet because we were waiting until we knew what they were. Every time I think I know what they are… something makes me second guess. Haha.

The black one is shy, doesn’t like being held, quiet, and gets along with all our birds without bucking up at any of them.

The splash is chatty, bucks up at the other birds(while still getting along with them pretty good), and loves getting attention.

Also I have a question, they both have the same father and could possibly have same mom(50/50 chance of not). However my splash has shredded wings while the black does not. What does that mean?

Attachments

• IMG_9374.jpeg
    IMG_9374.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9375.jpeg
    IMG_9375.jpeg
    384.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9376.jpeg
    IMG_9376.jpeg
    600.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9366.jpeg
    IMG_9366.jpeg
    519.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9365.jpeg
    IMG_9365.jpeg
    326.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9364.jpeg
    IMG_9364.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 8
I'm leaning cockerel for both, certainly the first one. By the way, the first one is a Silkie mix, because he doesn't have the silkied feathers that the second one has. His coloring is also called blue, not black. :D

I'm leaning cockerel for both, certainly the first one. By the way, the first one is a Silkie mix, because he doesn't have the silkied feathers that the second one has. His coloring is also called blue, not black. :D
Thank you! I figured there was some mixin’ and minglin’ that happened when their wings were so different.

I have an Australorp cockerel that is 5 weeks old. Will this be a problem to have 3 Roos?? I’m not concerned about two Silkie Roos together, but will the dynamic of an additional Roo be too much?

There’s 2 Buff Orpington pullets, and 4 Australorp pullets. Everyone is in the brooder together living copacetic so far.

Thank you! I figured there was some mixin’ and minglin’ that happened when their wings were so different.

I have an Australorp cockerel that is 5 weeks old. Will this be a problem to have 3 Roos?? I’m not concerned about two Silkie Roos together, but will the dynamic of an additional Roo be too much?

There’s 2 Buff Orpington pullets, and 4 Australorp pullets. Everyone is in the brooder together living copacetic so far.
3 cockerels and 6 pullets is not a good ratio at all. At most, you should keep one cockerel. Even two will likely be too many. They're fine for right now, because their hormones haven't hit yet. I strongly suggest getting rid of two of them.

3 cockerels and 6 pullets is not a good ratio at all. At most, you should keep one cockerel. Even two will likely be too many. They're fine for right now, because their hormones haven't hit yet. I strongly suggest getting rid of two of them.

We got them all as day old chicks so we knew there were chances that the ratio would end up off. The Australorp was cakewalk sexing… soooo we’ve been reallllllly hoping the Silkies ended up pullets.

Back
Top Bottom