Collared dove lost its mate?

ChiQChiQ1

Hatching
Mar 19, 2020
I've been putting out food for the birds here for a few months now. I live in Ireland in a semi rural area and my house backs onto farmland and a small wooded area so there are always plenty of birds about.

There is a pair of collared doves that must live in the trees behind my shed because they are always around, at first they were very timid and shy about coming to the bird feeder but gradually became the first ones to go to it (along with the robins). If there was one bird there, you just looked around and you would see the other.

On Tuesday morning i saw one of the doves chase away two magpies from the bird feeder, and again chase them out of the tree they had flown to. I thought this was odd as like i said they are usually pretty timid birds but figured they may be mating or have a nest nearby and so are getting a bit more territorial(?)

I didn't see the other dove then, and have not seen it since. The remaining dove will spend literally hours sitting on my shed, or in a single branch which is unusual as before they didn't like to sit in one spot for too long. It's not calling or making any vocalisations, just sits and watches.

I'm wondering is it possible that it lost its mate? Or could their mate be sitting on eggs while this one is keeping watch?

I would be sad if it lost its mate, as i have grown quite fond of them over the past few months as silly as it sounds. Just wondering what this change of behaviour could be due to.

Thank you.

I've been putting out food for the birds here for a few months now. I live in Ireland in a semi rural area and my house backs onto farmland and a small wooded area so there are always plenty of birds about.

There is a pair of collared doves that must live in the trees behind my shed because they are always around, at first they were very timid and shy about coming to the bird feeder but gradually became the first ones to go to it (along with the robins). If there was one bird there, you just looked around and you would see the other.

On Tuesday morning i saw one of the doves chase away two magpies from the bird feeder, and again chase them out of the tree they had flown to. I thought this was odd as like i said they are usually pretty timid birds but figured they may be mating or have a nest nearby and so are getting a bit more territorial(?)

I didn't see the other dove then, and have not seen it since. The remaining dove will spend literally hours sitting on my shed, or in a single branch which is unusual as before they didn't like to sit in one spot for too long. It's not calling or making any vocalisations, just sits and watches.

I'm wondering is it possible that it lost its mate? Or could their mate be sitting on eggs while this one is keeping watch?

I would be sad if it lost its mate, as i have grown quite fond of them over the past few months as silly as it sounds. Just wondering what this change of behaviour could be due to.

Thank you.
One of our collar doves was found decapitated in our driveway. Magpie had killed their young the week before. There is now only one lonely dove left. I'm heartbroken as they were such a living couple and the remaining one looks so lost.

Our Collared Doves migrate through the area during summer. They usually show up in pairs and stay around for a little while before moving on to where ever it is they go.

Back
Top Bottom