Confessions....

mudhen

confidently clueless
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Shepherdstown, WV
:| Has anyone here ever done something totally accidentaly that resulted in the death of a chick?

I did something clumsy several weeks ago and ... well,
hit.gif
The three day old peep didn't suffer, it happened fast. But, after almost six weeks now, I still can't stop thinking and beating myself up about it. Nothing I can do now, of course, but feel guilty and terrible and just plain mad at myself :thun

I suppose part of it was my inexperience, and it certainly isn't anything that will happen again. I just can't get it out of my mind and it just haunts me.

Just felt it was time to confess and send out a big cosmic 'I'm so sorry!'
hit.gif

Thanks for letting me vent, everyone...

mudhen, everyone learns by making mistakes. I had a bad experience years ago with a cocker spaniel puppy that was my pick of the litter for a stud service my champion blood line provided. I needed to make a quick run to the store, and when I pushed the clutch in on the car it partially rolled over the pup that was in the shade of the car breaking it's hip and causing me to take the awesome pup to the vet, who said put him down.

That 30 minute ride to the vet with the pup on the front seat by me, I'll never forget!

I learned a good lesson that day, that stays with me today.

Don't beat yourself up over mistakes, even when they are hard to let go.

bigzio

Don't beat yourself up, just learn by your mistakes. We all have made some mistake in our life that affected a animal or loved one that we have accidentally hurt or been careless about, let it go guilt will just eat you up.

:aww

I dropped an egg. And I think I nearly died.

Believe me, I will NEVER handle an egg so stupidly AGAIN.

But it's over and done with, nothing will change the past. It didn't hurt the chick, right?

And it's okay to beat yourself up for maybe a day or two-that's normal and fine. But now that it's been weeks, I'd say it's time to forgive yourself.
hugs.gif

That is really sad, but as the others have said, try not to dwell.

My dear BF is the best at this. Something bad can happen (like accidentally throwing a piece of firewood through the back window of his truck, for instance) and he literally just laughs. Not in a "devil may care, I'm loaded and it's just money" way, but in a "wow, isn't it interesting how the world can change so drastically in one second" kind of way.

Of course, when it is a living creature involved, would be impossible (and rather heartless) to react that way.

Just remember that scene from "The Lion King" where Rafiki hits Simba on the head with the stick. "it's in da past! Ah, yes da past can hurt, but you can either run from it, or learn from it."

Mudhen, i'm so sorry. i know how you feel, but you can stop beating yourself up. accidents happen, and we all make mistakes. it's time to forgive yourself and move on.

Ha! I LOVE that movie!

And then he swings at Simba again, but Simba ducks--And he has, officially, learned from the past -nods- :3

Thanks you all.
I know I have to put it behind me. Reading your words makes me feel better that I have at least admitted it out loud...sort of. I was alone when it happened and was carrying the guilt around with me since I never told anyone. It was just getting too heavy.
Thanks for understanding and the camaraderie. I was worried someone was going to tell me what a horrid person I was for letting such a thing happen
he.gif
(OK, so I am little hard on myself sometimes!
roll.png
)
But you (and Rafiki
big_smile.png
) are all absolutely right. It was a mistake, and I did learn from it. Gonna keep working on the moving on part.
I am so blessed to have found such a wonderful group of folks here. Thank you all so so very much....
smiley_huggrouphuggle.gif

Back
Top Bottom