Convert a Dog House into a coop?

Quote:
If it's going to be on the ground, then a dirt floor is acceptable. It could get wet inside (don't know where you live), so consider that. I'd still recommend burying the wire around the perimeter for predator control. Coop AND run. Wire can be attached to your doghouse with screws/washers or VERY heavy duty staples.

Also, remember with a coop that low to the ground, you will need a way to access your nest box and also a convenient way to clean it out. I think that this is often why you see the smaller coops raised off the ground -- you can use the square footage UNDERNEATH for additional run space and it's easier on your back.

I converted a plastic outdoor playhouse to a coop just by adding one roosting plank and one nest box. There's no floor to it. Just sits right on the bare earth. None of the windows nor the door can lock. No wire or predator-proofing necessary for the coop because I simply built a predator-proof run around the playhouse coop. So the coop now sits right in the middle of the run. Free standing and unattached to the run in any way. Easy peasy coop.

Quote:
If it's going to be on the ground, then a dirt floor is acceptable. It could get wet inside (don't know where you live), so consider that. I'd still recommend burying the wire around the perimeter for predator control. Coop AND run. Wire can be attached to your doghouse with screws/washers or VERY heavy duty staples.

Also, remember with a coop that low to the ground, you will need a way to access your nest box and also a convenient way to clean it out. I think that this is often why you see the smaller coops raised off the ground -- you can use the square footage UNDERNEATH for additional run space and it's easier on your back.

I am going to make the roof larger so the water will run away from the coop. Also thinking of making the roof hinge or the side hinge for easy cleaning. I'm short so being on the ground isn't that big of deal for me.

Quote:
I've been doing just that. Only for my bunny. I didn't even think of doing that for chickens. LOL.

In order to use the deep litter method, should the coop be on the ground with a dirt floor? I live in the northeast and after reading this, wonder if I can do the dlm on a wooden floor in the coop! I would like to add nesting boxes off the back of the coop so they are easier accessed. my only thought is, how do we fit in dog house to make changes? haha!

Back
Top Bottom