Crooked Toes 9wk Easter Egger

BrahmasMama02

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
Hello All!

We have a 9wk old Easter Egger pullet who has crooked toes/ stands funny. She has always had a slight twist in her feet, but for the past couple weeks it has been bothering her more.

I thought she was just a little special, and that she was a little deformed, but could it be something else?

I’m worried that there’s something she’s not getting enough of… everyone feel free to drop a suggestion!

Attachments

• A2E54922-C3B5-4C5B-9A7C-B32F8A5414A7.jpeg
    A2E54922-C3B5-4C5B-9A7C-B32F8A5414A7.jpeg
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 3CC8D62C-05F6-46EC-8C47-14DBAC62F2DC.jpeg
    3CC8D62C-05F6-46EC-8C47-14DBAC62F2DC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Twisted toes could be genetics or from improper hatching conditions. If it was treated early on it could have been corrected but not much you can do for her now. I would watch her for sores and bumble foot. Is she able to roost?

Twisted toes could be genetics or from improper hatching conditions. If it was treated early on it could have been corrected but not much you can do for her now. I would watch her for sores and bumble foot. Is she able to roost?
Yes, but it takes her a couple tries. I will be sure to watch her feet. I can already tell that the mostly affected side gets dirtier(more gunk on it). That’s a very good suggestion!

Mostly worried about her declining the bigger she gets (more weight to support ).

I really don’t want to cull her, she’s very pretty! However I also do not want her to suffer. We’ve been calling her “Toby” (toe-by).

I have an EE hen who's toes did that about that age (hers didn't get as bad). Is it both feet? (It is for my girl.) Do you see her holding her foot up a lot? I would keep an eye on her nails as well and provide her with a low perch. My girl loves to perch on her 3 gallon waterer, if that helps any. How is she when you pick her up? If she struggles a lot, I would minimize holding her as she could accidentally injure herself.

When my girl, Lilac, toes began to crook, I wrapped them in vet wrap in attempt to help straighten her toes, as I've heard it work for others. It didn't work for Lilac, sadly. Personally, I think she needed some nutrient for her bones or something, but I couldn't find anything that would work.

Now have you checked your other chicks to see if any of them have issues? With the batch that Lilac came with, I had another EE with crossbeak, and I have seen these EEs do have a lot of deformities. Where did you get her from?

Edited to add: Is she vaccinated against Marek's disease?

Yes, but it takes her a couple tries. I will be sure to watch her feet. I can already tell that the mostly affected side gets dirtier(more gunk on it). That’s a very good suggestion!

Mostly worried about her declining the bigger she gets (more weight to support ).

I really don’t want to cull her, she’s very pretty! However I also do not want her to suffer. We’ve been calling her “Toby” (toe-by).
I have a twisted toe girl also. Her middle toe is bent on both feet, but more prominent on her left foot. My girl's name is Bentoh ("bent toe"). She is over a year old now and it has not affected her mobility at all yet. She roosts, scratches, pecks...just like all of her flock mates. A few months ago I did put colored bands on my girls so that I could tell them apart. I gave Bentoh one at first (even though she is distinct enough without one), but she was soooo dramatic about it. You would have thought that I gave her a two-pound lead bracelet instead of plastic, so I removed it. But other than the drama of the bracelet, she keeps up with the others just fine.

I have an EE hen who's toes did that about that age (hers didn't get as bad). Is it both feet? (It is for my girl.) Do you see her holding her foot up a lot? I would keep an eye on her nails as well and provide her with a low perch. My girl loves to perch on her 3 gallon waterer, if that helps any. How is she when you pick her up? If she struggles a lot, I would minimize holding her as she could accidentally injure herself.

When my girl, Lilac, toes began to crook, I wrapped them in vet wrap in attempt to help straighten her toes, as I've heard it work for others. It didn't work for Lilac, sadly. Personally, I think she needed some nutrient for her bones or something, but I couldn't find anything that would work.

Now have you checked your other chicks to see if any of them have issues? With the batch that Lilac came with, I had another EE with crossbeak, and I have seen these EEs do have a lot of deformities. Where did you get her from?
Tractor supply ^ and the others do not seem to have issues. I’ll check their feet tonight when they go to roost.

So Hoovers which I know they are notorious for issues for chicks sent to rural king and tractor supply.

Back
Top Bottom