Crossing blue male Ameraucana with white Ameraucana hen

DaphneMama723

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 10, 2018
if I breed my blue Ameraucana rooster with a white hen will I technically be breeding EE’s? What would the offspring look like?

I just recently lost my BBS pullets to a raccoon that I planned on breeding with my blue roo, and the only somewhat local Ameraucana breeder in my area only deals with whites.

if I breed my blue Ameraucana rooster with a white hen will I technically be breeding EE’s?

Interesting question and different people have different opinions. Some people feel that if you don't have an approved color/pattern you have an EE. Others look at the breed requirements according to the SOP and consider approved color/patterns a variation. There are a lot of things that make up a breed according to the SOP other than color/pattern. They feel if you have all those things you still have an Ameraucana, you just don't have an approved variation.

What would the offspring look like?

I don't know, other than they should look like Ameraucanas, assuming they have the breed requirements. The Blue rooster should be based on black and split for the B/B/S gene so he should pass down black to all his offspring and Blue to about half of them, assuming he is B/B/S blue and not Lavender. There are different ways to make black but in general he should pass down black.

The white hens are the real unknown. There are two different ways to make a solid white hen, you can use Recessive White or Dominant White. Your Blue rooster will interact with those differently, plus there is the added issue that both Whites can hide other things. One example is that some breeders include barring in their white birds. You can't see it but it makes white look whiter. Other things can be hiding. Most of the time I'd expect either white chicks or a mix of black and blue chicks but you can get some surprises.

A question for you, why do you want to breed pure Ameraucana? The offspring of that cross will not breed true as to color/pattern. You can get different things in the second generation. As long as you carefully select your breeders you can still get all the things that makes them Ameraucana other than maybe color/pattern. I don't show but I've been told by someone who does that you can still show them as Ameraucana, but as "other" rather than an approved color/pattern. I'm not sure how the judges handle scoring. I you wan to sell them as Ameraucana some people may be upset if they don't breed true to color/pattern.

if I breed my blue Ameraucana rooster with a white hen will I technically be breeding EE’s? What would the offspring look like?
According to the LF White Ameraucana history that I have researched they are Extended Black(E/E), possible Birchen(ER/ER, E/ER) based, and recessive white c/c, so if you cross your Blue Ameraucana Rooster: E/E, Bl/bl+, C+/C+, with the White Ameraucana E/E, bl+/bl+, c/c. The cross will be E/E, possible E/ER, Bl/l+(50% should be bl+/bl+), C+/c. So basically 50% black, 50% Ameraucana with heterozygous recessive white on them.

The late Anne Foley breeder of exceptional blacks got her recessive white stock from Carl Fosbrink Circa early 2000. and started breeding them with her LF Black Ameraucana because at the time the whites were not as impressive as they are know or at least at least how Mrs. Foley got them to.

I second @nicalandia
Most Ameraucanas are recessive white.
From my understanding they are typically black based.
While likely to have a standard variety hiding beneath the white, you won't know what you get until you breed those birds together.
The worst that could happen would be to produce a non-standard variety, and then it's just a matter of breeding back to blue.
Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom