Dark Cornish Chick Gender

D_Mom549

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 30, 2010
Florida
I ordered five Dark Cornish roo chicks from MMH and they gave me one free (you'd think they wanted to get rid of roos or something!) so I ended up with six. Over the past week, five of them have really shot up; their combs are getting big, along with their legs, and they're starting to feather out more. One of them however, still has barely any tail feathers, a tiny comb and normal baby chick legs. The feathers growing in on it's shoulders are also a totally different color from the other five. I'm wondering if #6 is a girl. I know hatchery stock is generally terrible so I thought it could also just be a runty poorly colored boy. They're only 3 weeks old, but I'd love to know so I could name it! Most of these DC roos are going to go to freezer camp.

One of the boys for comparison

A top view of what I think is the female. It also has the coolest head markings. It looks like some one drew them on!

The shoulders and wings.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Well that doesn't sound good. Is color a better indicator of sex or other things like comb development and feathering out? I'd also just like to know for future reference. I absolutely love these DC babies and might have to get more
big_smile.png

Now bear in mind these are my observations on the ones I have raised. The color difference is usually reliable 99% of the time. They have pea combs so the roosters will get a dab of red before the hens usALLY AT 6 TO 8 WEEKS. The feathers as the grow out can almost be decieving as they begin to resemble each other but overall the roosters will always be larger framed.

I am not good at any of this, but I hope you chick is a girl! I have a dark cornish hen and she is the best egg layer! We have had her a month. She layed every day but two. The first time she missed a day, a few days later she gave us 2 in one day! She did not lay day before yesterday, so I figure she is due for two in the next couple of days lol

My friend said she knows she is a meat bird and is trying to impress me so I wont eat her!

babyrnlc: I hope it's a girl too! If it's a boy it will definitely get eaten, it's tiny compared to the other birds! I'd love to potentially get that many eggs out of her, I could hatch more babies that way! I wish my other girls laid that well, we've been getting six a day out of 14 cause everyone is molting.
tongue.gif

chickened: Thanks for responding! Did you have hatchery Cornish? If yours were better quality that would probably make a difference. I don't expect much from these chicks. I had also heard that some hatcheries mix their Cornish with other things so that very well could have happened. I was mostly looking to name one so I don't sit looking at them thinking: "Nugget, Pot Pie, Rotisserie, Coq Au Vin...."
tongue.png

Your welcome, they were hatchery originally and I hatched and improved from them with show quality. The show quality has put some odd colors in the mix I will say. f I can get it to happen I will try to post some pictures of some odd colors from my SQ roo over a hatchery hen.
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom