Dead wild doves

SGH

Songster
5 Years
Jun 13, 2018
Gilbert, Arizona
Hi all,

I will be moving the chicks out of the brooder and into the coop soon, and besides being worried about how hot it is, I've been finding dead doves outside. I've found 3, two right by the coop area :(
We do get a lot of doves hanging out, hoping they can get chicken feed which is frustrating. My neighbors both said they have found dead doves on their property this month as well. Now I'm worried the dove have a disease or something that could be spread to my chicks :(
Any advice?

They could be falling prey to dehydration or mites which is a serious issue for birds if you have some gloves id check the bodies to see because mite infestations can kill adult chickens much less chicks. You can also dust the area youre chicks will be staying in to prevent parasites congregating in the dirt. Unfortunately wild birds carry many a disease you can't knowingly prevent whatever it may be until theyve caught it unfortunately :( but last year we lost a ton of our sparrows and swallows plus a pair of pullets to mites before we successfully treated it.

Back
Top Bottom