Oh Debbie, so sorry your egg order was delayed :( That is so sad! I probably would have been so impatient that I would have said “just send me whatever you have!” 😂 the buffs will be worth the wait though! Remind me how many buffs you were wanting??

Question for Debbie and everyone else too - I have a lemon cuckoo silkie chick that I thought was buff but now I think it does have some cuckoo barring coming through!! Sadly this is the only buff chicken that I have - so I don’t think I can get any more buffs. And I’m almost positive she’s a pullet. I will probably have to breed to a black roo - is a buff to black pairing bad? Would all black chicks be expected with the males being cuckoo and the females being solid? Will the buff create a lot of leakage in the black birds? Thanks for any insight on this!
Can we see a photo? Please?

Oh Debbie, so sorry your egg order was delayed :( That is so sad! I probably would have been so impatient that I would have said “just send me whatever you have!” 😂 the buffs will be worth the wait though! Remind me how many buffs you were wanting??

Question for Debbie and everyone else too - I have a lemon cuckoo silkie chick that I thought was buff but now I think it does have some cuckoo barring coming through!! Sadly this is the only buff chicken that I have - so I don’t think I can get any more buffs. And I’m almost positive she’s a pullet. I will probably have to breed to a black roo - is a buff to black pairing bad? Would all black chicks be expected with the males being cuckoo and the females being solid? Will the buff create a lot of leakage in the black birds? Thanks for any insight on this!
My intent in the beginning was to get buffs from her. The other kinds were bonus. She only had two buff eggs and told me what else she had. The "what else she had" list was great, but I am defeating my purpose in getting buffs from her. I'll wait another week and see what she comes up with.

If you put a cuckoo hen with a solid roo it will be a sexlinked pairing; all boys will be cuckoo and girls will be solid.

But that's saying she's a cuckoo. If she's buff, my understanding is you can only breed buff to buff to get a buff. I am not sure what you'll get with black, but it won't be buff. You may like what you get though! I was thinking of asking NatJ to jump in, but went searching first, and wouldn't you know...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-i-breed-buff-silkie-to.1513571/post-25460966

I don't know if this would work with silkies, but this is from a black rooster over a buff hen
Screenshot_20200822-220136_Photos.jpg

I don't know if this would work with silkies, but this is from a black rooster over a buff hen
View attachment 3832816
Very pretty!!

Color genetics is the same for any breed as far as I know, and there's a great example of a great surprise! What a beauty!

Very pretty!!

Color genetics is the same for any breed as far as I know, and there's a great example of a great surprise! What a beauty!
It's not so much the color genetics that I was referring to. I was thinking that because the silkie feathers are so fine, the color might look completely different? Like the porcelain/Blue Cream silkies color looks so different than isabel orpingtons or brahmas, even though it's the same color and pattern.

It's not so much the color genetics that I was referring to. I was thinking that because the silkie feathers are so fine, the color might look completely different? Like the porcelain/Blue Cream silkies color looks so different than isabel orpingtons or brahmas, even though it's the same color and pattern.
I think silkies hold their color the same as others, but might be diffused a bit when they have the silkie feathers. I had a paint on the left at one point. Now if that paint had satin feathers instead, the dots might be more prominent. The middle is a satin partridge. Still have her. The right guy is long gone to someone's home, but just showing how a frizzle displays the colors.

All of those color charts they have out there aren't breed specific though some may say theirs is. This post was about Orpingtons, but is exactly the same for silkies and other breeds.

So the breeding for color would be the same, but I do see how some might look differently if they are a different breed.

Attachments

• IMG_0823.JPG
    IMG_0823.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • partridge hen.jpeg
    partridge hen.jpeg
    1,001.4 KB · Views: 5
  • rooster frizzle.png
    rooster frizzle.png
    1 MB · Views: 1
I think silkies hold their color the same as others, but might be diffused a bit when they have the silkie feathers. I had a paint on the left at one point. Now if that paint had satin feathers instead, the dots might be more prominent. The middle is a satin partridge. Still have her. The right guy is long gone to someone's home, but just showing how a frizzle displays the colors.

All of those color charts they have out there aren't breed specific though some may say theirs is. This post was about Orpingtons, but is exactly the same for silkies and other breeds.

So the breeding for color would be the same, but I do see how some might look differently if they are a different breed.
I love that rooster. I wish he was mine!
He reminds me of my frizzle red cochin, Mr. Biggs.

I have a paint satin. She does show the color well. I wish her comb was black, but she ended up with a purplish comb.

Hello :oops: I've been lurking and finally decided to peak in with some quick questions, silkie colour are so confusing sometimes I may aswell ask things to help me learn!
Mostly looking to clarify some things.
This one ⬇️
@Debbie292d I saw this beauty on another website and thought of you!
View attachment 3829476
That is gorgeous! Guessing it's a satin chocolate cuckoo silkie?
May i ask why you think this? To me this doesn't look cuckoo, because I've raised cuckoo polish for a family member and this isn't quite what cuckoo looks like on smooth feathers, at least in my experience.
There are chocolate cuckoo orpingtons so I would be throwing the word "silkie" in there just to differentiate although your picture is very obvious that's a silkie!
And when I looked up chocolate cuckoo orpingtons they dont look the same either.
Just curious as to your thought process, personally i would've thought the hen was a satin partridge or even some kind of laced :)
But that's saying she's a cuckoo. If she's buff, my understanding is you can only breed buff to buff to get a buff. I am not sure what you'll get with black, but it won't be buff. You may like what you get though! I was thinking of asking NatJ to jump in, but went searching first, and wouldn't you know...
Also questions here.
I have a Buff hen (unless I colour ID'd her wrong) and in one of my recent hatches I got a beautiful little buff cockerel, I have no Buff silkie roos.
I also breed Buff Sussex and I know you can breed Buff to non Buff (I've done to Light personally) and get Buff. I do not know if Buff in Silkies is the same as in sussex though, but if anyone does know that I'd love to know!

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply! I love learning genetics and colours and greatly appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom