Different Colored Rhode Island Red Chicks?

Omniskies

Songster
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
Missouri
Whenever I hatch Rhode Island Red chicks I notice that there are a bunch of pure reddish ones, some with faint spot/stripes on the head and back, and others that have the chipmunk markings.

Does anyone know if the lighter chicks grow up to be a lighter red? Is there are "required" look for proper/pure Rhode Island Red chicks?

I'm trying to decide which of the chicks to keep out of the batch and would like the chicks that grew up to be the darkest red color that is even throughout the body. It'd be nice to start young if possible
smile.png

I've read on the chick part that when they're all colors like that they're more of an incomplete hatchery type stock.

I think I also read that the best ones are the solid red ones that grow up to be probably more what you'd want to strive for but I don't know for sure on this.

I had a picture of a RIR and someone told someone else that the chick wasnt even a RIR...lol. It was but I was pretty insluted by it. They were just obviously used to the darker quality ones than my hatchery parented chick! LOL!

Generally, RIR that come from a hatchery are production bred, ie. crossed with another breed (several generations ago) to increase egg prodution. They are still accepted as RIR.

If you want true Heritage RIR then you need to buy from a breeder or a hatchery that advertises as such.

There is nothing wrong with production RIR, the ones I have are production and a very nice birds. My plans are to hatch out some from the ones I have and choose the nicest ones (close to standard) to keep in my flock. It may take me awhile but eventually, they will look more like what I really want.

I do plan on buying some eggs from a Heritage breeder at some point also, to upgrade my stock.

RIR ought to have wheaten down which means, in their case,by & large they ought to hatch out a sort of orange colour which can vary in shade. Some of the chicks will have black spots on the head area & sometimes a couple of fine stripes down the back (these marked chicks are usually female).

These are 3 of my girls I hatched lat year. They are true exhibition RIR. I know they are a bit older than day old here though.

6122008002.jpg

I've only hatched about 2,000 RI Red Bantams but I too see some variation in chick colour. I haven't noticed a connection between amout of black & gender but I do find that the darker chicks with pronounced black stripes on their back generally have better wing & tail colour.

The sex dichromatism was noted by Warren, confirmed by Byerly & Quinn (1936) & Hays (1940)
Basically it was only saying that of the birds which were marked, about 50% with Byerly & Quinn & only about 25% with hays, about 80%-90% of them were females.
Seems there was a more accurate sexual dichromatism observed Rowell & later by Japp, whereby a streak of creamy or white down on the outstretched wing denoted males in RIR with an accuracy of 90-95%, though the size of the streak seems to have varied quite a bit.
But really, all this was so long ago it is quite conceivable that this had been lost.
I'd be interested to hear whether you notice any correlation now that the old work has been brought to your attention.
smile.png

I had 50 RIR chicks and about20 of them had beautiful eyes with black streaks under that looked like they were wearing eyeliner (if one can imagine that on a chicken!!) and about 15 of them turned out to be roosters. Just seemed like an amazing coincidence.
idunno.gif

I just got 25 RIR's from Ideal through 4-H (25$!!)
big_smile.png

about 6 or 7 have those chipmunks stripes and they're all SUPPOSED to be hens!
tongue.png
so If I learn anything else I'll let you know
smile.png

*subscribing to this thread*

Hello ChickNJake,
I don't know whether you're referring to what I wrote earlier. While I'm not altogether familiar with what chipmunks look like I think they might be the ones which are heavily striped & if so I doubt that would have anything to do with gender. Proper Rhodie chicks ought not to be heavily striped. Sorry if I have mislead you.

Back
Top Bottom