Do old chickens wander off to die?

SamLockwood

Songster
Sep 29, 2022
Apoligies if this isn't the appropriate category, as this isn't really either a disease or emergency.

I've got this ancient speckled sussex hen, the last of a quartet of chickens that just showed up at my mother's house seven years ago. She was at least a year old then. When we started free-ranging the flock last September she had a bit of a last hurrah and managed to infrequently lay smallish, somewhat brittle-shelled eggs.

I was surprised she made it through the arctic blast in January, especially she's part of the trio that likes to sleep on the roosting bars in the run no matter what the weather.

She has been getting more creaky the last month or so: going out of her way to assert dominance on the younger, faster birds and the last week or so she noticeably has difficulty getting up to her spot in the top roosting bar in the run.

Saturday night I was one short in my nightly head-count as I locked the flock up for the night, and sure enough the old biddy was the one missing. I'd had to shoot an opossum that rushed the guineas at sunset, so I figured something got her.

I even tramped around the property for about an hour trying to find her remains or at least some sign of the predator attack I was sure got her, including a couple of areas I know are their favorite hiding spots when trouble shows up.

Nothing.

Yesterday morning when I go to let the flock out, the old biddy is pacing back & forth by the run door waiting to get at the waters and feeders, looking none the worse for her nocturnal adventures.

When I locked the them in again last night sure enough she was absent again. She didn't show up again this morning. It's weird because there's a lot of places with lower roosting spots she could have used overnight, in and outside the run (these were the first places I looked).

Never having free-ranged chickens before, I just wondered if this was maybe a "thing" they do when they get too old or sick or just because they've gone senile? I've had elderly cats get outside and crawl off to die somewhere.

She still lays eggs?

Sounds more like she's gone broody and has a hidden nest somewhere. Next time she shows up for food/water, see if you can tell where she goes. If she's sitting on eggs in an unsecured area, you may want to consider moving her and the clutch to a broody pen so a predator doesn't get her.

She still lays eggs?

Sounds more like she's gone broody and has a hidden nest somewhere. Next time she shows up for food/water, see if you can tell where she goes. If she's sitting on eggs in an unsecured area, you may want to consider moving her and the clutch to a broody pen so a predator doesn't get her.
This turned out to be the case. After having no sight of her for days and having other things to do (such as checking the on the two broodies in the coop to see if they've hatched any more keets yet, and settling the new rooster chicks in, as well as doing my "real" job) she shows up in the backyard for food and to annoy the younger chickens.

I followed her around as she wandered to the front yard to take a dust bath, and then she proceeded to chase all the other chickens & guineas away from the front porch. Then she crawled under it to a nest in a corner of the foundation. Getting her out of there proved to be a challenge but now I've got some wire mesh over the opening.

Notes to self:

1) Chickens that don't want to be found are really hard to find.

2) She's either incredibly lucky or way meaner than I ever thought. There's been a raccoon prowling around here at night I haven't gotten a bead on yet and somehow she didn't get eaten.

3) I've got to figure out how to get her to be broody somewhere accessible.

They're not really pets, but I do give them nicknames because it's easier than saying "that one over there, no THAT one!". I call her splash because her feathering looked like she'd had white paint dumped on her head until her latest molt.

This was shortly after I spotted her yesterday:
WFwzS6A-_JSkwzjAUUKLEMxYvg9-jikFVLIQLUronJodNgfn2qgAa_ycgIyLjhPOCBjEy6wlr1guyoALgpLQVItja12v1QngvGGgKdu_Sq4L6GPQxYUdQ-pvGMfgqrj7Bpl_e8IWE_lT_DK7WF28JLhkKst1tWz0zDC-Hnqcnq_CeSyn6DmEMvTecQMYyli4Vu6OlkrGJDHI31u18gKxuCIrm_rxO9ehF-SQLifD3q0mw3PWr6inBuPbS5Sumv8Dt-qwbUTQT586km-ZA24JXHoVfql3QZ5YHafWGXvdLgYSa7GwasdSUz1mZK0rXs4ex8PDk4h72vMlyct0d6oGjG-ubk4tYZV5TdnGVRG75NJdsgXsIIt043w9PkZBuxSAQ1dND0Ixr3gVYxMNtXC1KshteE83ET_rP9xk7R5bvelYulJ0P5K2-iVJwlDhX_qNumD4CfD5iviE13tFnOv0iOq4DtjGW3JiDBVwJf1a-e-abKz_pCi-ANE1smssorvPj4aEphJ0fQGr6RBMg2pSQ2M_IGd-HW9N3mZC6YL7MRV4UvnvnLOMswiiUKtXfbenqDLex6J9fjzjIWVCVUcavOMavDNUwFGxSajAMF1WXm8AukhHNazS_vM93c-784Q1J7qhxTc2DtIb0QIl3CzvOhr6lQHVc9C59wYrxLDC3RsCXQ7fKXBE_Ml0GOU_QnEPGGr9qkgpj6pNEtJe_2BEZzobi-GS1Exyb1Xplu98x3HWBo4bjq47jqIiI6jIY8K6j09pJMJSj06FPZxfcGyv_T2rBfG2PA64uzZoW9MTXT_wuat-PVi-oNdS-XdOFXW4NNWi5a22tV__qWVcWCbL_DjDsjHaUzDpKwHICGCNfVTZ-NCkFC8nP0LRN4OhSWwEmVK5orGT4TSJggQm3ft3a2nArCeAZdBDNgb2ns9FyBkE2Q=w471-h625-s-no

A few days earlier, she's catching rays near the back deck:
TsbsraX4wXDEXsYTQ6hyjhr9acTt1764dkC7DFja6oQj6RwkNgKoLyPs6BYvSDlUSCw3WQESEyi7yuLgdI-I3Uu085_sUnwQJnRA2q4vBRCow2iwhvgudqEF4RnUu1O9D7j_BTIXLrIZjBXIuhlCvTq2nxj6yszXQ_NAbqPjuHkUo1-Kxl3AkmmjI1hp8GCQZDy2wpYhIOxeoz6L-JveJwXfLaQB6kfTeE0RbmwnLok0qJ79s5d3EfSNe7DFqv9AtYPD2nghPH27phGwUVx0Ku52ApWbKDx5JYR0QYxZDUgcpz05H_IRDoMsM51qgob_oOOAokRnxXMvnVP787c72W8luIBpxNSUxqjxHglClmtP52-qXb3q8LBvef2ED01LSqZ4bnIrYuh3O021SY4D1aVLSAAoRZVsBe0JQja1WiViiZH05rJVhhriToaZy_7pyPKuLT3zOFHoCX9CijrVseFUR55bdMgkb7Xg6_U_Fcs7aZIhakAvtcouI2-upZl5oHYMH806Z2KY01U0NdXwu-iCD8UHP2B33-nd_cp7cSJWVwbUMPOacLyg5z_lwuUVipILpFJ7oF6Po0KxC3BCtbT_6SmK77egYhb2o8glFEfA48aPI0VAsER5pguqPbiNUrsc4JxMjft8vY6CQaT8Esy2r3AqUbwF5Kyzr_dDRbJyL7pKnJD5BdfuhIMH-DHdEMFadeWtLXd49xT80BWywIKUVvxRxWOrmCB1D0bKSvV_g7gO07H7tgjyTzCtEogiKl1e_miRG8PdctTfnwIsig8Lj65Yc9eJEB8GVd_eoUcgu4deT66xkBWbnNKULmdw6R5ovEnNOs2stJhYWSPH-74V3raEmWtJIjJkf5KYIy358DN_niHGj_aIHKeeYha-Gur6nb8iDli-j2hcpWQdAc2NbRRagf6gfb9MVH-Yxc8b-g=w471-h625-s-no

Back
Top Bottom