Do you have any blue copper maran rooster crosses? + genetic questions

Hantell

Chirping
Jun 6, 2023
We lost our roo this morning 😢

I have 10 eggs in the incubator now due to hatch tomorrow, and will start another round asap! He was an awesome rooster, hoping we’ll have good luck with a replacement.
Super bummed.

Wondering if anyone has chick pics of BCM roo crossed with any of the following:
Partridge Brahma
Buff Orpington
RIR
Easter Eggers
Leghorn crosses

Also, I’m just barely getting into researching genetics and dominant/recessive traits. What can I expect for egg colors from any of those crosses? I currently get a wide range of tan/brown, olive green, and blue eggs.

Last edited:
Also, I’m just barely getting into researching genetics and dominant/recessive traits. What can I expect for egg colors from any of those crosses? I currently get a wide range of tan/brown, olive green, and blue eggs.
With a Blue Copper Marans father, I would expect the following egg colors:

--hatched from white egg, lays brown eggs, somewhere between cream and medium brown

--hatched from brown egg, lays brown eggs, somewhere between medium brown and dark brown

--hatched from blue egg, chance of laying green/olive eggs, chance of laying brown eggs (cream to medium brown)

--hatched from olive egg, chance of laying green/olive eggs, chance of laying brown eggs (medium to dark brown)

Wondering if anyone has chick pics of BCM roo crossed with any of the following:
Partridge Brahma
Buff Orpington
RIR
Easter Eggers
Leghorn crosses
No pictures, but if you are trying to recognize which chicks have which mother, here are some things you can look for:

--if both parents have single combs, so will the chicks. This would include chicks with the Orpington and RIR mothers, maybe the Leghorn crosses, and some kinds of Easter Eggers.

--chicks with a pea comb have a parent with a pea comb (in this case, the mother.) With your group of hens, that would mean the mothers are Brahma or Easter Egger, or possibly the Leghorn crosses (depending on what comb type they have.)

--chicks with muff/beard on their face must have a parent with that trait (in this case, that would mean an Easter Egger mother, unless some of the Leghorn crosses have that too.)

--Chicks from a Brahma hen will probably have more down or feathers on their feet than chicks from any of the other hens. If the "Leghorn crosses" are part Brahma or Cochin, their chicks might have similar amounts of feathers on the feet.

I would expect most chicks to look black or dark brown at hatch, with a chance of various spots and stripes and other markigs.

When they grow up, most chicks will probably have some pattern of black or blue with gold/copper/red feathers. Chicks from the Buff Orpington will probably have much less gold black than chicks from some of the other hens. Chicks from the Leghorn-cross hens might be solid white, black, or blue (chance of some other-color leakage as they mature.) If any chicks have a pattern of black or blue with silver/white feathers, they must be male, and their mother must have the Silver gene. Given your list of hens, that could only happen in the Easter Eggers and the Leghorn crosses.

Last edited:
With a Blue Copper Marans father, I would expect the following egg colors:

--hatched from white egg, lays brown eggs, somewhere between cream and medium brown

--hatched from brown egg, lays brown eggs, somewhere between medium brown and dark brown

--hatched from blue egg, chance of laying green/olive eggs, chance of laying brown eggs (cream to medium brown)

--hatched from olive egg, chance of laying green/olive eggs, chance of laying brown eggs (medium to dark brown)

No pictures, but if you are trying to recognize which chicks have which mother, here are some things you can look for:

--if both parents have single combs, so will the chicks. This would include chicks with the Orpington and RIR mothers, maybe the Leghorn crosses, and some kinds of Easter Eggers.

--chicks with a pea comb have a parent with a pea comb (in this case, the mother.) With your group of hens, that would mean the mothers are Brahma or Easter Egger, or possibly the Leghorn crosses (depending on what comb type they have.)

--chicks with muff/beard on their face must have a parent with that trait (in this case, that would mean an Easter Egger mother, unless some of the Leghorn crosses have that too.)

--Chicks from a Brahma hen will probably have more down or feathers on their feet than chicks from any of the other hens. If the "Leghorn crosses" are part Brahma or Cochin, their chicks might have similar amounts of feathers on the feet.

I would expect most chicks to look black or dark brown at hatch, with a chance of various spots and stripes and other markigs.

When they grow up, most chicks will probably have some pattern of black or blue with gold/copper/red feathers. Chicks from the Buff Orpington will probably have much less gold than chicks from some of the other hens. Chicks from the Leghorn-cross hens might be solid white, black, or blue (chance of some other-color leakage as they mature.) If any chicks have a pattern of black or blue with silver/white feathers, they must be male, and their mother must have the Silver gene. Given your list of hens, that could only happen in the Easter Eggers and the Leghorn crosses.
Wow, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge! Thank you! I’m sure I’ll be referring back to this a lot in the coming days and months.

Just had the first one hatch from a Brahma egg, the chick is indeed black with a lot of cream colored markings.

Wow, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge! Thank you! I’m sure I’ll be referring back to this a lot in the coming days and months.

Just had the first one hatch from a Brahma egg, the chick is indeed black with a lot of cream colored markings.
I just went back and fixed a typo: chicks from the Buff Orpingtons will probably have less black and more areas of gold than chicks from other mothers (at least after they grow up.) I had accidentally typed it backwards.

Back
Top Bottom