Does raising the humidity in your incubator cause the temperature to drop?

Thank you. And thank you all! Tomorrow is lockdown and I was very worried about this because my humidity lowered and when I added water the temp went down a bit. I've been freaking out about the last three days since then. Very helpful advice here. Wish me luck!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

I wish @cjchickwould have come back and told us if her chicks lived last year.

Yes, adding water can drop temps, but it should come back up. One way to offset that is to add warm water. It's ok at lockdown/hatch to drop a couple degrees though, so don't worry. Good luck.

Thank you both so much! I will definitely let you all know how it goes for me. I've learned so much from others that have actually came back with different results and I want to pay it forward.

Thank you. And thank you all! Tomorrow is lockdown and I was very worried about this because my humidity lowered and when I added water the temp went down a bit. I've been freaking out about the last three days since then. Very helpful advice here. Wish me luck!

Eventually my temperature did come back up. I candled the eggs a few minutes ago and they are all doing well! Air cells are growing, (some more than others which I don't understand, do any of you?) We are using the farm innovations 4250 (I think is the number)of. Well We locked em down, so I'll let you all know how it goes when it goes!

Eventually my temperature did come back up. I candled the eggs a few minutes ago and they are all doing well! Air cells are growing, (some more than others which I don't understand, do any of you?) We are using the farm innovations 4250 (I think is the number)of. Well We locked em down, so I'll let you all know how it goes when it goes!

Each egg is different. Because of shell thickness and porosity they will loose moisture at different rates, and the air cell will grow differently. We can't provide the optimal conditions for each individual egg, so we adjust for the majority.

Each egg is different. Because of shell thickness and porosity they will loose moisture at different rates, and the air cell will grow differently. We can't provide the optimal conditions for each individual egg, so we adjust for the majority.

Thank you! Makes me wonder if the ones with larger or smaller air cells are stronger or healthier...Or if that makes a difference. I have an egg that has spots like it's more porus maybe, but it had veins and a moving baby inside so I left it in. Anyhow all of the air cells have at least gotten a little bigger at each candling so I figure that's a good thing. Thank you so much for your information! The girls and I are camping out in the room where we have the chicks on Saturday since they're supposed to hatch Sunday, so maybe we can hear the early cheeps! Lol

I searched all over and can't find the answer to this.  I got the temperature just right in my homemade Styrofoam incubator, but humidity was low.  So I added more water, and now the temperature went down.

I've been able to find all sorts of wonderful information on the forum, but not specifically the answer to this.  Am I going to have to fiddle with the temperature every time I add water?  (Thankfully I have a digital controller coming this week, but until it arrives...)

I took someone's advice on here and used very warm water to fill my trays. My temperature shot down from the set up and all, but after a few hours it seems to be leveled back out so far. My humidity is about 70 now and temperature 100. I'll check it again tomorrow and let you know if there is any change, and again on hatch day to let you all know my results! Couldn't even be doing this without my "chicken people" (oh and maybe I shouldn't have, but I did turn my digital thermometer down by .5 degrees because my temperature shot up a bit. It's way better now. Feels like cooking without a recipe...Throwing a pinch of this and that in here and there lol)

Last edited:
Thank you! Makes me wonder if the ones with larger or smaller air cells are stronger or healthier...Or if that makes a difference. I have an egg that has spots like it's more porus maybe, but it had veins and a moving baby inside so I left it in. Anyhow all of the air cells have at least gotten a little bigger at each candling so I figure that's a good thing. Thank you so much for your information! The girls and I are camping out in the room where we have the chicks on Saturday since they're supposed to hatch Sunday, so maybe we can hear the early cheeps! Lol

I always have at least a couple spotty eggs because they are more porous. They tend to hatch as well as my others if they develop.

I took someone's advice on here and used very warm water to fill my trays. My temperature shot down from the set up and all, but after a few hours it seems to be leveled back out so far. My humidity is about 70 now and temperature 100. I'll check it again tomorrow and let you know if there is any change, and again on hatch day to let you all know my results! Couldn't even be doing this without my "chicken people" (oh and maybe I shouldn't have, but I did turn my digital thermometer down by .5 degrees because my temperature shot up a bit. It's way better now. Feels like cooking without a recipe...Throwing a pinch of this and that in here and there lol)

Many people drop a degree or so at hatch time. I don't, but I open my bator during hatch so I tend to loose a degree or two before it's over.

UPDATE DAY 19... 4 Pips so far! Couple dips in humidity but came back up with y'all helpful advice! I had to use a couple sponges to increase humidity and it's working wonderfully!

Awesome! You should have babies by tomorrow! Exciting!

I always have at least a couple spotty eggs because they are more porous. They tend to hatch as well as my others if they develop.
Many people drop a degree or so at hatch time. I don't, but I open my bator during hatch so I tend to loose a degree or two before it's over.
Awesome! You should have babies by tomorrow! Exciting!

Thank you for your reply!
Day 20...I think I've really screwed up this lock down thing. My humidity was up to 78 (temp still about 100) and I have two chicks with unabsorbed yolk sacs, (one with a tiny bit of intestines hanging out). I'm upset cause my girls are watching too. Four seem very healthy so far. Pretty sure I let the humidity get too high. Reading so much information from so many different places. I overloaded my brain. Hoping tomorrow will be better for the rest of the clutch. Fingers crossed!

Thank you for your reply!
Day 20...I think I've really screwed up this lock down thing. My humidity was up to 78 (temp still about 100) and I have two chicks with unabsorbed yolk sacs, (one with a tiny bit of intestines hanging out). I'm upset cause my girls are watching too. Four seem very healthy so far. Pretty sure I let the humidity get too high. Reading so much information from so many different places. I overloaded my brain. Hoping tomorrow will be better for the rest of the clutch. Fingers crossed!

Lockdown humidity doesn't cause problems unless it's too low. Not that you want to see condensation in your bator either. I generally strive for 75% for hatch and it often shoots past 85% during chicks breaking out. Can you get a pic of the one you say has intestines hanging out? Yolk, if it doesn't get ruptured can absorb over a day or two, intestines, not usually much you can do. I've seen people talk about putting them back and using a butterfly bandage over it, but never saw much great success with that. You are sure it's intestine and not cord?

Back
Top Bottom