Duck died suddenly... Any idea what caused it?

MasterZii

Songster
7 Years
Mar 22, 2016
Sarasota, Florida
DSC_4954-EFFECTS.jpg
We had a ~6 month old Swedish Black (possible cayuga mix, she was pretty green) and a very large duck.
Up until last week, we thought she was a he because oh her green feathers and large size. Then she began to lay eggs and surprise!

She's always had a lot of energy and the day before she died, nothing unusual. We let her out into the yard and lock her up at night. She's our only duck, so she's in the coop alone. It's tight so no large animal can get in.

This morning we go to let her out, and she's hardly moving, in the corner. Usually she'll run up to you but this time she didn't even try to get up. A few hours later and we take her out because we worry she might be ill because she's cold (We're in Florida, just had a sudden 60 degree dip this night)

But when we bring her inside, she doesn't even quack. She just lays there. Tried giving her some water but she threw up... Then she pushed out a very soft rubbery egg. Her other 5 eggs were perfect before that one. About an hour later, she stopped breathing and passed away :'( her neck stretched out and feet stretched back, like a rubber chicken.

Any idea what this could have been? I am 100% confident no large animal got to her, but a snake could have. Looked all over her body but no signs of bites or other damage. I don't think she died to an unpassed egg because she passed one in the morning, and the rubbery one that I guess was meant to pass only tomorrow. She didn't show any signs of lethargy before this morning... She died so suddenly I really have no idea what to think.

Really devastating, would be nice to have some closure.

View attachment 1958958

Last edited:
:hugsShe could have been egg bound could have had EYP. Could have just been she was sick they are so good at hiding any illness till close to death. When my female Muscovy died from egg laying problems the day she passed she laid an egg the morning off but something else was def wrong inside. Unless we have a necropsy done well never know for sure. Very sorry for your loss

Internally laying eggs. Infection killed her I'm thinking. :hmm
So you guys think she died because she started laying?
So strange. She had 1 egg every morning without fail, even to the morning she died (and she even laid the egg meant for tomorrow) so what do you think could have caused an infection if all her eggs came out?

I guess she could possibly have had reproductive issues but without a necropsy, we'll never know. I'm not sure she was even egg bound from what was written. At first, I did but the more I read about what was going on with her the less I thought that was the problem which is why I didn't write anything initially. So sorry you lost her. It makes us feel so helpless and awful when we can't make everything all better.

We really don't know only a necropsy would tell. Reproduction problems are usually the main killer of laying poultry. Infections, toxins to name a few Hardware disease. I am very sorry you don't have closure with her death. Just take comfort that you were with her and she knew it. :hugs

I had two Ducks within 12 hours of exposure die from Botulinum Toxin. Check water source and weather was my answer. If you put charcoal in their water it will help with toxins.
We hate when our babies die.

I had two Ducks within 12 hours of exposure die from Botulinum Toxin. Check water source and weather was my answer. If you put charcoal in their water it will help with toxins.
That was my thought too given the position of her body. I've read a lot about it but no direct experience. @WannaBeHillBilly had a bird with it.

So you guys think she died because she started laying?
So strange. She had 1 egg every morning without fail, even to the morning she died (and she even laid the egg meant for tomorrow) so what do you think could have caused an infection if all her eggs came out?
Internally laying is different than being egg bound. It's when the egg gets into the cavity of the bird and not passed. Egg bound the egg is stuck in the proper channel but won't come out.

Back
Top Bottom