Pics

SaeruhMariee

Chirping
May 27, 2017
I had an egg hatch yesterday and the little guy was a bit behind the others. His feet are balled up into "fists" and his legs are straight out behind him. He can't walk, just scoot by pushing forward with his legs. He's active and eating and drinking. Honestly, I wasn't sure he would make it but he's doing really well. Not to mention he's a cuddle bug.

I can't seem to find exactly what this is or if it's fixable. I was hoping his legs would be a little better today once I got home from work, but there's no change. I'm going make him boots to help straighten out his toes. They're balled up pretty tightly which is worrisome. I'm not sure if it's just cause he's trying to move and clinching them or if his feet are just THAT deformed. As for his legs, they will bend into the "correct" position but he's not able to do it himself.

Help!

Thank you! I checked out that site and literally everything I could find last night immediately after he hatched. I only found maybe one or two references to this specific issue.

Worth noting, he was malpositioned in the shell. Not completely backwards, but not where he should be. Guessing that was the reason his legs grew messed up and also why he had issues getting out of the shell despite chirping up a storm and overly ready to get out of it.

There was a 24 hour gap where three of them hatched and then 4 were left not making much progress. One was completely backwards and internally and externally pulled at the same time. I thought I caught it in time but poor little dude didn't make it. Three were kind of cockeyed in the shell so they had internally pipped but weren't making much progress. Finally opened up an air hole for them, just in case. Waited and waited. Two of the remaining three had no veins anymore... those two ended up being assisted. One is a runt who initially had slightly splayed legs (have since corrected over the last 24hrs) and then "Scooter". Last one is still half in shell absorbing the remaining yolk. I don't know that it'll make it but I can't/won't bring myself to "dispose" of it while he's chirping and wiggling and obviously still very alive despite being almost two days past the first round of hatches.

I know the popular opinion is not to assist and to just let nature take its course, but "Scooter" is just as lively as the others who hatched "on time" and doesn't seem to be in pain, just annoyed by his lack of mobility.

I haven't been able to tape his feet yet. I've been trying to stretch them out every hour. Seems to be helping, as there not as tense. He's a wiggly little guy too, so the more comfortable he is with me messing with his toes, the easier this is going to go. Last thing I want to do is hurt him or break something.

Including pics for reference.

IMG_2892.JPG IMG_2893.JPG

it sounds like you are doing the right things but you def need to get his feet taped up, i use band aids, but depending on the severity you may need to add something more sturdy like a popsicle stick to help it get where it needs to be

i will try to find a video that i had previously posted that was helpful (if i can find it)

Back
Top Bottom