Dying chick signs

So can I give the Nutridrench to a chick that I THINK may be kind of weak? Will it hurt them if they are perfectly healthy? If so how much and how often?

I would say no, but I've only had chicks since last Friday!

I was giving it via a pipette dropper, directly into the side of their beaks. They didn't get very much at a time that way, but it prevented it from being everywhere except in the chick. We are also making a week tea out of it and giving it in their waterers. The dosing for that is right on the bottle, we are mixing it even less than the suggestion to get it looking like week tea.

I would say no, but I've only had chicks since last Friday!

I was giving it via a pipette dropper, directly into the side of their beaks. They didn't get very much at a time that way, but it prevented it from being everywhere except in the chick. We are also making a week tea out of it and giving it in their waterers. The dosing for that is right on the bottle, we are mixing it even less than the suggestion to get it looking like week tea.
Nutridrench just saved a chick for me. I found it this morning standing by itself. When I picked it up it was emaciated and not very responsive. I immediately dipped it's beak in water and then set up a shallow 6" across saucer with nutridrench and water. I did not measure it or even mix it. Just covered the bottom about 1/4" water and it looked like about 1 table spoon of nutridrench. I dipped it's beak into the liquid periodically over 5 minutes while I was taking care of the other chicks. I then put it into the bottom of the incubator on a paper towel with the saucer pretty much under it's beak - it was not able to drop it's head down and drown. I had to leave it alone because of an appointment. That was at 9:30 am. I came back at 10:30 and the chick is standing up in the incubator looking normal. I put in a tablespoon of medicated chick feed and left the nutridrench/water in there. Will check again in an hour.

Nutridrench is fantastic! I will be watching the little one for a day or so! But I think we are going to be ok!:yesss:

The first sign isn't non-stop chirping, though that follows pretty quickly. If you see a baby chick in the first two or three days, standing still while the others are romping around it, wings held low, eyes at half mast or closed, Houston we have a problem. Sugar water and minced egg white and yolk may revive it.

The chick who is always sleeping or lags behind the others in growth (they double in size each week for the first couple months) is one who may need special attention. Try to watch the chicks and figure out why it may not be getting enough to eat.

Back to the chirping. Chicks come with a built in alarm system. Constant chirping is usually a sign of distress. It's like an alarm going off on a relief valve, meaning you had better pay attention. It's loud, persistent, and never-ending, a lot louder than normal chick conversation. The closer together the chirps come, the higher the threat risk.

A chick close to death will lie on its side, not chirping, perhaps gaping its beak, eyes closed. By that time you probably have already diagnosed it as sick. But if you see a chick do that all of a sudden, you had better get some sugar water and electrolytes into it asap. It's gone into shock for some reason, maybe too hot or too cold or hasn't been able to get enough water, and these measure may revive it.
Thank you so much. One of mine are acting so sleepy. I don't want her to die. She is only 2 days old. NOTHING deserves to die at that age. Thank you so much and I really hope that she will live. Enough of an emotional mess without a baby dieing.

My grandma has chickens, and we put 7 eggs under a hen. Fast-forward a few weeks, and I see two chicks apparently rejected (?) by the mother. One fluffy one was sadly dead, the other looked newly-hatched and was breathing. I ran to her, but she couldn't see for 1hr. I got her and we got the chick warm before putting it under the mother... We'll see if it's alive tomorrow. 4 others hatched and have so far survived though.

She just passed away tonight.. when I went in to check on everyone, she was sprawled out on the floor.
1f622.png
I am sorry to hear that she didn’t make it.
I am worried about one of my nine-day old chicks. They arrived in the mail a week ago. They have all been healthy, perky, and energetic from the first day. Yesterday, three of them had poopy butt, and I cleaned it off.
The one chick had more poop stuck on tonight. It’s normal looking poop other than being stuck on. After I cleaned her butt, I realized that she is half the size of all the others. They started out the same size but the others grew. Now I am watching her and she seems a little “lazier” than the rest, and often stands apart from the rest. She eats and drinks, but now I’m getting paranoid here.

I have a baby chick that has only recently hatched and is one day old by now but now t's laying on its side, and keeps on vomiting out the water I give (which has a bit of honey in it) what do I do? Also, this is the third chick that hatches (the last two died)... the chicken house we have has nesting boxes that need the chickens to jump up to...so whenever the baby chicks hatch they fall to the floor (it's about 2 feet below the nesting box) and the mother gets conflicted between going to her child, or sit on her eggs, which she chooses the later and the baby is left in the cold :\ this time though I took the chick out of the chicken house just in time to warm it up, and give it some water (did i mention that the mother doesn't feed her babies?)...but its only been a few hours and I don't wanna give up on saving its life :/

Back
Top Bottom