Eggs won’t firm up when scrambling

Brangt37

Hatching
May 19, 2024
I’m noticing with my backyard eggs, I can’t get a nice scramble on them. With store bought or any other farm eggs, I can get a nice fluffy, firm scramble on super low heat. With my eggs though, low or high heat, I find they are really soft and always stick to the pan. There’s a lot less consistency and they’re way more crumbly. Has anyone had this issue? Any ideas to get fluffier eggs?

Fresh eggs have a higher water content. Store eggs have been sitting around for a while longer and have lost moisture during that time. How are you preparing them? Do you add a bit of water or milk?

Fresh eggs have a higher water content. Store eggs have been sitting around for a while longer and have lost moisture during that time. How are you preparing them? Do you add a bit of water or milk?
I added a little milk today and tried no extra liquid yesterday. I have also tried sour cream and yogurt on different occasions. Same result.

I added a little milk today and tried no extra liquid yesterday. I have also tried sour cream and yogurt on different occasions. Same result.
How long do you whip them up? I've been using just a bit of water as an emulsion. Mine seem fluffy, but maybe not firm, but I'm not cooking them very long either.

You could let some eggs sit in your fridge for 2-3 weeks to see if it makes a difference or not.

Are you using bantam eggs or standard eggs? I believe the fluffy comes from the white of the egg, and many of my eggs seem to have a larger yolk to white ratio than store eggs. You also could try adding extra egg whites as an experiment.

How long do you whip them up? I've been using just a bit of water as an emulsion. Mine seem fluffy, but maybe not firm, but I'm not cooking them very long either.

You could let some eggs sit in your fridge for 2-3 weeks to see if it makes a difference or not.

Are you using bantam eggs or standard eggs? I believe the fluffy comes from the white of the egg, and many of my eggs seem to have a larger yolk to white ratio than store eggs. You also could try adding extra egg whites as an experiment.
Good call! I thought about refrigerating them in might do that. I will try a bit of water too. I have noticed that the whites are not very firm. Almost a bit watery and they are very yolk heavy. Many double yolks. To answer your question, I tried kenji’s approach and whipped them for about 45 seconds and then let them sit for 15 mins salted. They are a combo of leghorn, olive and chocolate eggers.

Back
Top Bottom