Elastrator Band Dehorning GRAPHIC New pics pg 10

interesting method!

i'd worry about feeding the horns to your pups tho, just for the simple fact that it's not a quick process may want to make sure that the horns aren't gross with anything including the medication before you give them to them (if you do). As horns and hooves for doggies at your petstore or slaughter house were taken off in one fell swoop as opposed to this method on a live animal just a thought.
smile.png

Quote:
Wow - I did look on the internet they say it can take up to 3 weeks to finallly get the horns to fall off.

I wish someone was close and could "do it" for my goat, I worry sometimes he'll hurt the horse.

I'd be curious how long it does take. It takes a good 4+ weeks for a banded scrotum to atrophy and fall off. I'd think the soft tissue would die off faster than the horns. How long have they been banded already?

Yeah I'd say the 3 weeks is a very low number. Maybe on a very young animal with soft horns, maybe...and maybe when early separation occurs (which is not a good thing).

These bands were applied 10/4 - making them a month old tomorrow. I've heard this can take up to 3 months.

Interesting - the website I found said 3 weeks for goats under a year and longer the older they are. the bands on that website were UNDER the horn, they shaved the hair, and put the band under the base of the horn on soft tissue.

I will simply say you use a castrating band, applied to the base of the horn, to cause the horn to die and fall off. It's really simple...and kind of complicated if that makes any sense.

Gee, Kate, I remember being with my dad and granddad when they banded the young bulls for castration. Ah, memories!​

Banding is just invitation for infection. Please, keep a good, solid routine to keep the tissue clean. Watch for bugs and other things. Toward the end, I'd make sure the goats aren't head butting, either. You could end up with more blood than you're wanting.

I love this site for lots of good information on goats.

I bought a goat once with a band on her horn. (she had been dis-budded wrong and had one horn.) The doe was 2 years when I got her. She kept herself away from the herd because she was in so much pain. She dropped weight and you could see how uncomfortable she was. We had her several weeks before the horn broke off and she bled all over, down her face. Poor thing. We took her to the vet and he perscribed butte for pain, an antiboitic injection and that yellow spray for infection. It took months for her to come back around.
I know some people think this method works, but my only experience with it is that it is horrible for the goat.
I encourage people to disbud their kids before two weeks of age. It is really so much easier on everyone that way. I feel so bad for goats that get de-horned.
just my opinion and my experience though.
Hope it goes better with your goat than it did for ours.

Last edited:
What about Dehorning Paste? Has anyone tried it? We used it on our steer and it worked well. Of coarse you have to use it when they are just babies.

Back
Top Bottom