EMERGENCY-Newly Hatched Goslings Having Seizures??

Cowgirl3560

Hatching
May 20, 2024
So we hatched some goose eggs, and by lockdown we had 10-- all which seemed healthy. However, two eggs pipped two days early while the rest stayed put. After around 40 hours with only small holes in the shells to go, I decided some help was needed. I gently took off just enough shell to encourage the zipping process. After maybe another hour, they both were out. However, the poor things are SO FILTHY and having seizure-like movements. They have been out of the eggs for 7-8 hours and are still folded up like they were in the egg. They are shaking violently, especially the one. It can't sit up, one eyelid isn't open the normal size as if it developed incorrectly, and its feet are shaking so hard that they are scooting him around. PLEASE HELP

Im not sure if I have any answer's its been a year with allot of assists. But if you saw any blood as you pealed them back they weren't ready. If you didnt but saw a big pot belly they probably were getting ready or the shell was just to small for them to finish the process of pulling the belly in.. They wouldn't be able to sit up till after they are able to lay on there belly.

While in the shell they are in the right position to pull in the belly pushing there way out of the shell while they zip helps them to do that.

If none of these things it could be a heath issue.

sorry not much help. every case is different I had allot of to small eggs this year. from some first year girls.

when I do help with the peal back its usually a day before they recover so I try not to.

The one I helped in this hatch shrink wrapped in the shell was not quite ready but struggling. I opened his shell up large enough to make sure the dry membrane was not on his nostrils or over his eye then left him that way for 12 hours. Pealed him back today and because he had dried goop and membrane on his neck. did allot of thrashing wet the membrane and pulled off a little that was binding his neck. He is now pushed himself into the corner of the basket all cuddled up finishing what he would have if he was able to do the hatch himself. This one was because of the shape of the egg his mom lays a oblong long egg and his dad has big babies

Im not sure if I have any answer's its been a year with allot of assists. But if you saw any blood as you pealed them back they weren't ready. If you didnt but saw a big pot belly they probably were getting ready or the shell was just to small for them to finish the process of pulling the belly in.. They wouldn't be able to sit up till after they are able to lay on there belly.

While in the shell they are in the right position to pull in the belly pushing there way out of the shell while they zip helps them to do that.

If none of these things it could be a heath issue.

sorry not much help. every case is different I had allot of to small eggs this year. from some first year girls.

when I do help with the peal back its usually a day before they recover so I try not to.

The one I helped in this hatch shrink wrapped in the shell was not quite ready but struggling. I opened his shell up large enough to make sure the dry membrane was not on his nostrils or over his eye then left him that way for 12 hours. Pealed him back today and because he had dried goop and membrane on his neck. did allot of thrashing wet the membrane and pulled off a little that was binding his neck. He is now pushed himself into the corner of the basket all cuddled up finishing what he would have if he was able to do the hatch himself. This one was because of the shape of the egg his mom lays a oblong long egg and his dad has big babies
Thank you, this was helpful 😊 I didn't see any blood when I was helping them, I'm thinking that I had the humidity levels too high maybe. They can drink with my assistance, but neither can eat.

Thank you, this was helpful 😊 I didn't see any blood when I was helping them, I'm thinking that I had the humidity levels too high maybe. They can drink with my assistance, but neither can eat.
Mine heathy ones dont usually eat till 2 full days have passed sometimes 3 when I assist. My little one is in the corner of the brooder still has a bloated belly but should be fine by morning since he can sit up. Assisted babies take longer but if you can add some vitamin B and electorates to there water. save a chick is good. They wouldn't need food till they get there belly's in.

Back
Top Bottom