Feeder Height

JerEazy

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2024
Hello! Happy to be here! I’m sure this is the first of many questions as my wife and I are very new to chicken life. Our family not far has been helpful with some stuff. But I wanted to post this up. The front of our coop (old shed) has some plywood wall. I want to install these feeder tubes and run them outside and up for a longer term feed option. My question is; how high above the floor should they be?

We have a small variety of egg layers from TSC that are about 2 weeks now. So time to start laying in the outside food and water sources! Will post up more of our build soon.

Marked in red for my thoughts. (The chicken door is on the back of the shed)

Thank you!

https://a.co/d/b4hJmnq

Attachments

• IMG_3232.jpeg
    IMG_3232.jpeg
    629.2 KB · Views: 31
Side note: the inside is raised about 5-6” off the ground. So those marks are not the level I was looking at - just location.

Attachments

• IMG_2987.jpeg
    IMG_2987.jpeg
    558.4 KB · Views: 10
You don't want the feed to get wet so I'd keep them inside where it is dry.

About the height of the chicken's back is a good height to aim for.
Was going to keep it under the overhang to protect some. It’s FL though, so most things get wet whether you like it or not.

Hello :frow

:welcome

What a lovely coop. 😍 I would l really like that in my garden

Thank you! Decided to put the unused shed to use. I’m not a carpenter by any means. And it’s not done yet!

Attachments

• IMG_3288.jpeg
    IMG_3288.jpeg
    884.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3290.jpeg
    IMG_3290.jpeg
    938.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3292.jpeg
    IMG_3292.jpeg
    506.4 KB · Views: 5
I use a common metal feeder, located under a roof to stay dry, suspended from a hook and chain that is easily height adjusted.

Personally I never understood the desire for those tube feeders unless you have the materials laying around already. These days a commercially made feeder might even be cheaper than to make one of those PVC units. Also I never see anyone put a reservoir/funnel at the top, so you can have the volume at a lower height to make filling it easier with less spilling, haha

Coop shed conversion looks like it's coming along nicely!

Back
Top Bottom