Feisty Chick

Disheygirl

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
I have three pullets - two Barred Rock and one Australorp. The smaller BR loves to bum rush me when I put my hand in the playpen. She isn’t mean - doesn’t peck - but if she had arms, they’d be swinging, and she puffs her chest out. Is this just chick behavior / they all have different personalities? I don’t want one to grow up mean, and I don’t even know if chickens can be trained out of it, or if I even need to worry. I’ve just seen a lot of people say they don’t put up with aggression - mainly from roosters - but I can’t cull an animal, so I want to catch it young if it’s something that I should be worried about...thoughts?

I can’t figure out how to post a video, so these are stills - she comes in low like a bob and weave and right before she gets to my hand, she stands up tall like she wants to bump her chest into my hand. No pecking - just posture.

Attachments

• 8B12AEFF-D858-467A-83B2-2A79CB164AFF.jpeg
    8B12AEFF-D858-467A-83B2-2A79CB164AFF.jpeg
    471.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 193EF03A-058D-48E2-BAC1-58444FC28243.jpeg
    193EF03A-058D-48E2-BAC1-58444FC28243.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Haha, how funny. I can see why you're concerned, though. This seems like the behaviour of dominance testing/attempting to establish a pecking order although it seems like a young age. Are you usually interacting with them right after they wake up and are bursting with energy? Young chicks play fight with each other like puppies or kittens. If this is a constant behavior would try imitating a peck with your finger, firm but not too hard, which would show this little one you are the top of the pecking order.

Haha, how funny. I can see why you're concerned, though. This seems like the behaviour of dominance testing/attempting to establish a pecking order although it seems like a young age. Are you usually interacting with them right after they wake up and are bursting with energy? Young chicks play fight with each other like puppies or kittens. If this is a constant behavior would try imitating a peck with your finger, firm but not too hard, which would show this little one you are the top of the pecking order.
It seems more like an invitation to play if she does not get physical.

I have three pullets - two Barred Rock and one Australorp. The smaller BR loves to bum rush me when I put my hand in the playpen. She isn’t mean - doesn’t peck - but if she had arms, they’d be swinging, and she puffs her chest out. Is this just chick behavior / they all have different personalities? I don’t want one to grow up mean, and I don’t even know if chickens can be trained out of it, or if I even need to worry. I’ve just seen a lot of people say they don’t put up with aggression - mainly from roosters - but I can’t cull an animal, so I want to catch it young if it’s something that I should be worried about...thoughts?

I can’t figure out how to post a video, so these are stills - she comes in low like a bob and weave and right before she gets to my hand, she stands up tall like she wants to bump her chest into my hand. No pecking - just posture.

For video, upload it to YouTube, then post a link here.

I have a chick who acts a little like that. She plays a little rough with the tiniest chick in the brooder. No pecking me either, but she comes up to my hand and stares at it. I think either she is not a she after all or she got her father's personality.
(Her father is my rooster, Max, who, if I didn't mention, is very aggressive.)
I pick the chicks up sometimes, and remind them that I can pick them up and do a whole lot of stuff with them, and that I'm at the top of our little pecking order. It's starting to look like Dove just has a big personality. It sounds like yours just has a big personality too.

Back
Top Bottom