Fleas in the chicken coop! Help!!

kristiepavelka

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2017
I have had a flea problem in our chicken coop area for the past 5 or 6 months or so. We have lost a few chickens I think because of it. I have one girl left! Just bought a batch of new layers and want to get the flea problem under control. I have tried everything it seems. Flooded coop with water, laid cedar shavings down. sprayed Permethrin and Sevendust as well. We get rid of them for a few days and then they are back. She has a sand bath and i know she uses it. I have no clue what to do! They are tiny little fleas, kind of hard to see but she gets covered in them and if I am not sprayed with bug spray they attack me. Our neighbor on the left side has no animals and keeps grass mowed regularly. neighbor in the back has about 5 acres with sheep running all down so grass is down all the time. We keep our yard mowed regular as well. They seem to only be in the chicken coop or that part of the yard anyways. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks so much.

DE Diatomaceous Earth, The sound like sand fleas, Mix DE with a dust bath for your chickens, And spread it all over inside the coop and run, in the nesting boxes, on poo boards, every nook and cranny!

Diana, it seems that I have got the fleas under control in the coop, well I don't see any more on me when I go in there, but my poor chicken is still covered in them.... any suggestions on getting them off of her?

Diana, it seems that I have got the fleas under control in the coop, well I don't see any more on me when I go in there, but my poor chicken is still covered in them.... any suggestions on getting them off of her?
Permethrin is safe and effective to use on chickens requiring no withdrawal period if used as directed. And has a residual effect for so many days depending on the pest.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1134783/permethrin-spray/170#post_18437060

DE is ineffective and dangerouse to breath, to the eye cavities and such.

If you haven't treated you girl, they will simply move onto her.

Saw a post where the guy put DE in his nest boxes only to watch the pest swim around happily in it!
hmm.png
Plus it's strip mined, most of us chicken folk are at least somewhat environmentally cautious.
smile.png

Fleas transmit the bacterium Yersinia pestis from rats to humans and therefore are required for the transmission of bubonic plague, which caused the deaths of as many as 25 million people during the 14th Century. There are some pests who encountered around the home, and fleas cause discomfort and irritation to both pets and people.

For successful fleas control, the home, pet and oftentimes, the yard must be treated by a professional fleas exterminator. Last month my neighbor too had dealing with fleas issues, then immediately they had called up NYC pest control to performed fleas control treatments that had greatly influenced the results.

Lime dust. You can put it directly on the chicken just like you can DE. Fleas cant stand it.

It is my understanding that there are more than 1 type of lime and 1 can comfortable be used on the skin while the other cannot. Though I don't now which.

Also, sulfur has been used to mitigate pests successfully. But I also have not studies that.

Back
Top Bottom