Salpingitis

Ginger has salpingitis. She laid a lash egg today:( but she ate some strawberries and her crop is emptying. She ate some of the wet layer feed, and the mash I made for her. So, I posted a thread here about her:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-laid-lash-egg-and-her-crop-isnt-emptying.1593077/
Before I posted the thread her crop wasn't emptying, but now it is. She's drinking water. It's a hot day. I have a malfunctioning rabbit dripper making the ground cool for her. She's currently napping in her cage. I put a blanket white side up plus shades for her, so it's dark in there and she's calmer. I stretched the remainder of the blanket out in front and propped it up with the open door and a stick, so it makes a kind of awning for her. So she can relax outside but still in the shade. It's a warm day today so I don't want her to get too hot.

Salpingitis

Ginger has salpingitis. She laid a lash egg today:( but she ate some strawberries and her crop is emptying. She ate some of the wet layer feed, and the mash I made for her. So, I posted a thread here about her:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-laid-lash-egg-and-her-crop-isnt-emptying.1593077/
Before I posted the thread her crop wasn't emptying, but now it is. She's drinking water. It's a hot day. I have a malfunctioning rabbit dripper making the ground cool for her. She's currently napping in her cage. I put a blanket white side up plus shades for her, so it's dark in there and she's calmer. I stretched the remainder of the blanket out in front and propped it up with the open door and a stick, so it makes a kind of awning for her. So she can relax outside but still in the shade. It's a warm day today so I don't want her to get too hot.
This will need to be treated with antibiotics.

If you do a search on here for salpingitis you will get some info from By Bob on what to use.

Here is an article I have read before:

https://the-chicken-chick.com/cause...ext=Treatment,for salpingitis of viral origin.

Salpingitis

You really are taking care of her ❤️

Now I'm concerned for Tina after reading this because she's laid a few lash eggs.

I thought she was over it but she laid a weak shell egg a few days ago and I just thought her egg laying days had come too an end. But she seems to be healthy. Does laying lash eggs always mean it's salpingitis?

After she attacked all the chilies and cinnamon meant for the ant's she was perfect again

Had Sophia’s chicklets in here today helping them preen, they can’t reach their neck and head feathers to preen off the old fluffy down, so I help it along which they really seem to appreciate, well 3 of them do, the one who has been a wild thing since day one received some extra TLC and mealy worms today 😊

But one of the chicks seems to have a topknot growing in! They were 4 weeks old as of Monday.

Wonder what breed this wee one is? I don’t trust either Hoovers or Peavey Mart to get it right!
View attachment 3589922View attachment 3589923View attachment 3589925View attachment 3589924View attachment 3589926

She sure is a friendly little thing 😊

Four weeks on some of my Hoovers “colored egg layer assortment”
IMG_1075.jpeg

IMG_1093.jpeg

So I still think they are a Easter Egger/Americana/Other “designer label” EE.

You really are taking care of her ❤️

Now I'm concerned for Tina after reading this because she's laid a few lash eggs.

I thought she was over it but she laid a weak shell egg a few days ago and I just thought her egg laying days had come too an end. But she seems to be healthy. Does laying lash eggs always mean it's salpingitis?

After she attacked all the chilies and cinnamon meant for the ant's she was perfect again
Lash egg means salpingitis or some other infection inside the body cavity.
It might be bacterial which can be treated with heavy duty antibiotics. Or viral.
Although the prognosis is not good, it is definitely not an immediate death sentence.
BYC is full of folk whose hens recovered.
Maggie lived over two years after she laid her first series of lash eggs. She even went back to laying normally.
Then she laid more lash eggs and died a couple of months later.
She did not appear I’ll at all in the two and a quarter years after her first lash eggs.

Lash egg means salpingitis or some other infection inside the body cavity.
It might be bacterial which can be treated with heavy duty antibiotics. Or viral.
Although the prognosis is not good, it is definitely not an immediate death sentence.
BYC is full of folk whose hens recovered.
Maggie lived over two years after she laid her first series of lash eggs. She even went back to laying normally.
Then she laid more lash eggs and died a couple of months later.
She did not appear I’ll at all in the two and a quarter years after her first lash eggs.
Big problem this end is getting hold of antibiotics. A lot of chicken people have started avoiding vets with their chickens... I was told this a couple of years ago. Because they are not putting the right people on the jobs.

I spoke too one that immediately knew I could trust. She owned a flock but the stupid company wouldn't let her deal with chickens, and refused to even let me take Amber in.

The nearest vets in our town are con artists that charge way more that I have and ripped people off here for thousands, thankfully they don't deal with any kind of birds.

I called two vets that deal with "exotic animals " as advised by another miss usless at a vets. i left messages but got no reply or response.

This country is depressing as it won't let us buy antibiotics and only let the rich take their chickens for medical help. And as i already said a lot of those privileged people avoid them because they found their chickens live longer without them . Even if I could afford a vet they wouldn't let me choose an antibiotic

Back
Top Bottom