Rescued another bird! This time a type of crow!
PXL_20240519_163052287.jpg

STOWAWAYS

OH No! What am I going to do?!

I have stowaways 😳

Actually no they are not from yesterday, and not a real coincidence that Peavey Mart has the same Bantams as TSC had yesterday, I am betting Hoovers shipped Bantams to both Peavey and TSC this week.

These where the very last two chickies in the store and they were screaming up a storm, broke my heart to hear them so distressed so I told the store clerk, give me a deal and I’ll take them off your hands. So 2 for the price of one and home they came!

Being bantams they are straight run. And in my case are likely both Roos…..

I wonder what sort of Bantams they are?
Lmao 😜

043E0725-A228-44F8-9D94-C872D0F64EBF.jpeg
Well, here you have them, my new permanent residents, the Grayscales. Somebody came by yesterday to pick up the slow-feathering Marans who was just under nine weeks old, and was kind enough to also take Mina the cockerel as well.

In order of their current pecking order, I present to you:

7F2F6BA5-960B-462D-8088-3BD171CA60DF.jpeg

Caroline! A dominant white Olive egger to whom I can’t stop singing “Sweeet Caroline, ta ta taaa 🎶 “. She is in fact sweet, always blindingly white, and favors lounging.

28E158FA-EC6C-4F42-801D-344D704C6590.jpeg

Moa! Named after the now-extinct giant, peaceful, flightless black birds of New Zealand. Moa is a big gal at just nine weeks, and already chooses roosts no more than a foot or two off the ground.

F8CFAF86-93FF-46F7-A42F-E10050458D45.jpeg

This is the wee chick! She is six weeks old now but still significantly smaller than the others (the only one without a dual purpose background I suppose). She flies all over the place! I’m stuck on her name though. So far I’ve been leaning towards Ricky (because I just learned what Rick Rolling is, would get to sing “Never gonna give you up🎶 “ all the time, and that poof deserves an 80s name. But also my kid wants to name her Pips. So, tough choice.

Vote?

I do believe our dear friend has 2 Old english bantams, otherwise known as game chickens. Oh I hope they are both pullets. One if not both could very well end up looking very similar to my dear departed momma hen.
Really?! Awwww oh in that case I will pray for them both to be hens and look just like momma hen 💕♥️🌹

I do not know if they carry them, but another option I can think of would be seabright. I think they are chipmunk colored as chicks.
Oh really? I must ask Greg - he has a bunch of them. I haven't had a chance to go to Hoovers and check out their bantams.

The lighter one has what looks like barred wings - I will try to get better photos tomorrow.

Awwww they look so lonely there just the two of them.
1F6E9F72-7722-427B-AAD4-E9069890E246.png

And here I thought the one with the straight eye liner was a Speckled sussex. The curve eye liner looks like a brown leghorn (but there're lots of breeds that pop those colors and I don't know much about bantams) , so maybe you got a Momma Hen type bantam.... the straight eye liner looks like has fluffy cheeks? Will very likely be ALERT little things.
They are little terrors! Esp the lighter one - she screams and is trying to fly out through the door - she managed to somehow fly up the 6" and get wedged in the 1" hole in the chicken wire - needless to say I was totally freaked out. They are going into the small cat crate I have tonight, I gave my niece the large crate I used with the other chicks. They should be fine in that crate for the night. Tomorrow I will bring in the water trough I used last year with the chicks. I'll put it in the feedroom for now, they are sooooo tiny! Don't want them to get injured by anyone.

I am guessing they are a week old, Peavey gets the day olds in on Tuesday's so they much hatch on Sunday or Monday morning at the latest.

Back
Top Bottom