WannaBeHillBilly

Addict
5 Years
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
Hi Friends,

with my Spring Ducklings i have ordered five Buff Orpington ducklings, four girls and one boy. Unfortunately the hatchery did not mark the boy with a leg-band or something else. I am very bad at vent-sexing, actually i was searching for the vent in the wrong location and the duckling showed me where the business happens… :sick
Is there any other method than vent-sexing to distinguish boys from girls with Buff Orpington ducklings?
Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Hi Friends,

with my Spring Ducklings i have ordered five Buff Orpington ducklings, four girls and one boy. Unfortunately the hatchery did not mark the boy with a leg-band or something else. I am very bad at vent-sexing, actually i was searching for the vent in the wrong location and the duckling showed me where the business happens… :sick
Is there any other method than vent-sexing to distinguish boys from girls with Buff Orpington ducklings?
Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Did any of the ducklings have leg-bands? Which hatchery was it?

Did any of the ducklings have leg-bands? Which hatchery was it?
I ordered four Buff Orpington girls, one boy and five Magpie girls from Ideal Poultry. Identifying the Magpies was easy ;) but finding the one boy in the Buffs i don't know how. No leg-bands on any duckling, just ten ducklings in a cardboard box.

I ordered four Buff Orpington girls, one boy and five Magpie girls from Ideal Poultry. Identifying the Magpies was easy ;) but finding the one boy in the Buffs i don't know how. No leg-bands on any duckling, just ten ducklings in a cardboard box.
:lol: I'm sure the Magpies were nice and easy. Unfortunately, I have no experience with vent-sexing, I'm just too afraid of hurting the duckling, and I don't know of any other way until they get their voice changes or gender determining feathers/coloring. That's one of the things I like about Metzer Farms, all ducklings are leg-banded with colors according to breed and gender.

:lol: I'm sure the Magpies were nice and easy. Unfortunately, I have no experience with vent-sexing, I'm just too afraid of hurting the duckling, and I don't know of any other way until they get their voice changes or gender determining feathers/coloring. That's one of the things I like about Metzer Farms, all ducklings are leg-banded according with colors according to breed and gender.
Just had a negative experience with Metzer Farms, one of the ducklings they've sent me has a crippled leg. They claim that happened during the transport, but i really have my doubts…
So i will wait patiently for the first quacks. - And yes, vent sexing is an art! I was looking at the wrong spot for the vent…

Just had a negative experience with Metzer Farms, one of the ducklings they've sent me has a crippled leg. They claim that happened during the transport, but i really have my doubts…
So i will wait patiently for the first quacks. - And yes, vent sexing is an art! I was looking at the wrong spot for the vent…
you look where the poop flys out haha

I vent sexed my SA it was a female i swear. i chwcked 3 times fallowed the instructions and i was very wrong

I do have buffs but have never had a male. I have only had females. The only real difference between them(besides them being different genders) is that the female is a little smaller and the male had a grayish color head. The males will probably not get there grey head plumage till they are older(after the juvenile molt) and the males will grow as they get older so you probably won't be able to tell the size difference yet. Really you will probably have to wait till you can do it by voice or when the male gets a little bigger. I have seen pics of your ducklings and wished I had got some this year..maybe next year...love your ducks!:love

Back
Top Bottom