Getting California Quail-Legal??

Griffin Nest

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 7, 2010
Hey, I was about to purchase some fertile California Valley Quail eggs on the internet, but i found out that they may be illegal. I can't get a straight answer from any website. What I've heard is that they are illegal to breed and hunt. I live in California and its our state bird. I'm NOT breeding them, I'm keeping them as pets in my backyard. So, is this legal to keep them as just pets?
hmm.png

it is my understanding that if you live in california, you cannot own California quail since they are native to california. However, you could own any other type of quail that is native to other states. With that said, if eggs are shipped to california, perhaps there is something some where stating that captive bred is ok? I bet the hatchery would know if you called them (link in prev post)

Check with your state Department of Natural Resources. Here in Illinois bobwhite quail are native but I can own, raise and even sell them IF I have a permit (it's only $20 a year).

Last edited:
It varies so much from state to state. Here in Michigan, bobwhites, which are native, require a permit, BUT there is a 12 or less for personal use/consumption exemption -- no permit if you don't breed or sell them and keep 12 or less at a time for your own "use".

Back
Top Bottom