Giant Runt nest bowls

Mr Oviraptor

Songster
Dec 9, 2021
I've used normal sized nest bowls for my Giant Runts but they just seem to big for them! The babies come off the nest earlier than normal because of it in my experience, Anyone have ideas on what to use instead of normal nest bowls?

I've used normal sized nest bowls for my Giant Runts but they just seem to big for them! The babies come off the nest earlier than normal because of it in my experience, Anyone have ideas on what to use instead of normal nest bowls?
I love trying to find answers for stuff I'm clueless about, so I learn too. I couldn't find much on BYC as far as different types of nesting bowls but this site I found has some great ideas!

I hope it helps! Good luck!

I’m breeding my giant runts right now.

I used a regular nest bowl inside a milk crate, then when they got too big I removed the bowl and filled the entire milk crate with straw, screw a small board across the front to hold it all in.

If you find that this is still too small I’d suggest a suitably sized wooden nest box or a bigger plastic crate :)

Attachments

• IMG_5800.jpeg
    IMG_5800.jpeg
    569.1 KB · Views: 16
I’m breeding my giant runts right now.

I used a regular nest bowl inside a milk crate, then when they got too big I removed the bowl and filled the entire milk crate with straw, screw a small board across the front to hold it all in.

If you find that this is still too small I’d suggest a suitably sized wooden nest box or a bigger plastic crate :)
Thank you!, I've had Runts for years now I've just never really bred them but now I'm getting more into the breed (Showed mine for the first time last year and I did really well!), Since I got mine from a friend who was a breeder and was getting out of Runts, I was practically gave them, I'll try with milk crates as I'm gonna be breeding mine now!, Also do you know how to get Browns?, I have only one Brown Cockbird and I don't know if I should pair him to a white, Blue bar or Recessive Red, I want more browns (Hes the one in my pfp)

Nice looking bird!

I played around on a genetics calculator to try to find an answer for you. I definitely would not use the recessive white hen, there are many different white genes which I struggled with inputting into the calculator but in my experience anything bred to a white bird makes a white bird.

However, with the blue bar and recessive red you have a good chance of making more browns.

Attachments

• IMG_5814.png
    IMG_5814.png
    812.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5813.png
    IMG_5813.png
    730.4 KB · Views: 11
These are my runts. They’re certainly not as large as yours, I can see some tumbler mixed in especially with my hen. The male definitely has more of the type that yours does.

Not sure of their exact patterns to be honest but definitely two reds. One of the babies came out a much lighter color which is interesting.

Attachments

• IMG_4937.jpeg
    IMG_4937.jpeg
    489 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5725.jpeg
    IMG_5725.jpeg
    596.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
These are my runts. They’re certainly not as large as yours, I can see some tumbler mixed in especially with my hen. The male definitely has more of the type that yours does.

Not sure of their exact patterns to be honest but definitely two reds. One of the babies came out a much lighter color which is interesting.
One of my Recessive red Hens look like the baby closest to the camera in the second photo, I got my Runts from a breeder who showed them so they are show line, I was practically given them and I've had them awhile but never fully tried with breeding and now I've fallen in love with the breed, I might try with a Bluebar Hen I have since shes got some good size to her

Back
Top Bottom