Goose hit by car

I am no thinking a predator also now. As the neighbor was at her dead sheep by the road, heard the screams from the goose.

I just checked on the goose. Was standing with both legs down, but favoring the one leg. There is a pretty good stream of blood going down the foot. My daughter is going to help me tonight on trying to find where it is coming from. How do you fix this?

Attachments

• DSC_0479.JPG
    DSC_0479.JPG
    422.6 KB · Views: 8
I just checked on the goose. Was standing with both legs down, but favoring the one leg. There is a pretty good stream of blood going down the foot. My daughter is going to help me tonight on trying to find where it is coming from. How do you fix this?
Poor baby, she must be feeling unwell. Is she eating anything much yet?

Is it fresh blood, still bleeding? Clean it with a warm damp cloth/paper towels to locate the wound, then maybe apply some vetercyn or triple antibiotic (without pain relief) to it, if you have any to hand. You may need to also apply cornstarch to the wound to stop the bleeding if it isn't drying up on its own.

If its a deep wound, take a photo so we can see the extent

I had my sister in-law come by that is a nurse practitioner. Helped me look over. The blood was coming from the elbow joint which is very swollen and has puncture wounds. treated with sterilizer. The ankle part is weak and appears to have torn ligaments, not stable yet. We made a sling with a towel to keep foot up. Not sure if it will last. Any ideas on making a sling for a goose to keep off foot? I don't think what we did will last. The goose is being so great. I haven't seen it eat yet or drink water today. Did some last night. I turned the heat up and is around 80 in there and the goose isn't shaking any more.

Last edited:
Well tonight, I cooked up some eggs and added cottage cheese. Offered he is not moving since we put the sling on his foot. I moved the food to him and actually tried to feed by hand. He ate a little bit, not much. I also decided to give him the amoxicillin, which I divided up into five days worth. Put into a syringe with small amount of water to liquefy and syringe into his mouth some went down but some missed. I did this due to his leg joint is so swollen and has puncture's in it.

Today check on goose, changed the newspapers out. He/she has very runny poop going on. Did drink water today and ate a little. I have in a sling, and will remove tonight to check the knee area and treat again to prevent infection. The ankle area is a concern. I was wondering if I wrapped the ankle to give support would be better than the sling? I was going to google and see if there are videos to do this. That would give the goose more mobile ways to get around. I will be giving another dose of amoxicillin.

I googled how to wrap the foot, could only find human ankles. I guess I will wing it tonight or tomorrow. I just hate the sling as mobile ability so limited. My son thinks I should keep the sling on for a day or two. He drank a lot of water today and is eating the food now. We are suppose to get a horrible wind storm tonight so hope we don't lose power. The goose is not shaking anymore and seems awake during the day so far. I will treat again with another dose of amoxicillin tonight. Did clean the cage again as his poop makes a mess being mostly water now.

Last edited:
Hello @rockymountain! It sounds like what your doing is correct. I also agree that the goose looks like a female. It sounds like the goose is improving well! Its good that he/she is eating as well as drinking. How is the goose at the moment?

Hello @rockymountain! It sounds like what your doing is correct. I also agree that the goose looks like a female. It sounds like the goose is improving well! Its good that he/she is eating as well as drinking. How is the goose at the moment?
The goose is still in the sling, but managing on moving around and drank a lot of water today as well as food. It is not use to the flock food pellets, so am watering down to make mesh and added other food. The goose has never been given food its whole life so it is learning to like flock food. I just gave it a second dose of amoxicillin very low dose. I gave yesterday the first dose and now seeing is drinking and eating now. I still am concern about the ankle as to weak to support the body. My son thinks I should keep in the sling for a few more days than access the ankle. I am just learning and seeking any advice. Thanks for inquiring.

Back
Top Bottom