Has anyone successfully built a coop/run around an existing tree?

ATXInstantFlock

Chirping
Apr 23, 2024
Austin, TX
I've got a spot picked up for my chickens that's nice and shady, but I'd like to include this oak tree that's growing almost horizontally. Any ideas on how I could incorporate it safely without ruining the integrity of my boundaries?
1000020201.jpg

I think the tree is likely if minimal value to the chickens in terms of being something to play on, but I was planning on extending the run around the tree anyway.
As you can see from this draft design that works around the tree, I would have to make a much more complicated structure with extra doors just to separately access all the different areas for cleanup/maintenance.
1716314741392.png

Is cutting the tree down an option? The chickens are going to decimate the ground. Maybe that's why you dont' want to make the run big enough to just go all the way around the tree? I have so many chainsaws that I just picture either cutting the top off to see if it will send up new suckers from the base or cutting it at the base. Or not cutting it all and building around it as the options. The elaborate design to leave it outside the run does seem like alot of effort of one hand but on the other hand if you plan to have new additions to your flock frequently, it's very nice to have run seperation so it could come in handy. It's an interesting dilema. I think that an arborist would just recommend cutting the poor dear down.

I have several existing trees in my expanded run, cutting any of them down to accommodate chickens wasn't even a thought in my mind. My interference was overhead, as I put overhead fencing to keep flying and climbing predators from getting inside. I used metal chicken wire not only because I already had a roll, but because it's fairly strong, yet flexible enough to use against the trees and allow movement. Basically I just made a "slit" from the edge to the tree and then a few smaller slits around the tree so I could bend the panel and fix it to the tree so there are no gaps, then stitched any holes with galvanized wire

My vote is keep the tree, adapt to it. If it doesn't work out, you can always make alterations later.

I have several existing trees in my expanded run, cutting any of them down to accommodate chickens wasn't even a thought in my mind.
Same here, which is why I wanted to work around them. Going to double check with an arborist, but I'm pretty sure that Live Oak is going to be around for quite a while despite growing almost completely horizontally.
I used metal chicken wire... Basically I just made a "slit" from the edge to the tree and then a few smaller slits around the tree so I could bend the panel and fix it to the tree so there are no gaps, then stitched any holes with galvanized wire
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of idea(s), I'm looking to use based on other's positive experiences.

Pretty sure a live oak will be around for a while growing horizontal like that. My inlaws have many oaks, several growing horizontally like yours; also the large oaks they've had fall or cut down seem to regrow from the stump unless it got ground out.

Pretty sure a live oak will be around for a while growing horizontal like that. My inlaws have many oaks, several growing horizontally like yours; also the large oaks they've had fall or cut down seem to regrow from the stump unless it got ground out.
For sure. I do worry about it continuing to grow sideways as my soil isn't super deep (mostly top soil they just dumped on top of limestone), but I've been in this house for almost 25 years and it was here when I moved in.

Last edited:
The tree grows up, across, then drops a little. You would have to fence in the entire tree to keep a five foot or more height from the ground. If you include the tree in the run you may have chickens that can get up high enough to roost in it, and therefore be able to escape from the run.

An L shape might be easier.

Back
Top Bottom