Help a mailman out: undeliverable mail-order ducklings!

Kamereone

In the Brooder
Dec 21, 2022
Just got a call from my friend at the P.O. - they have a box of ducklings there, no one is home or answering the phone, and they'd really like to not have a dozen duck-ing murders on their hands!

Good news is, two below-freezing days in the mail stream and 2000 miles later, everyone is still on their feet and cheeping up a storm. Mail clerks have them off to the side where it's less drafty and quieter and have been checking in on them.

Now, I've never actually done live mail-order before. Theoretically the hatchery packs them with enough snacks and whatnot to last them the 72 hours the Post Office has to get them door-to-door, meaning they ought to be "just fine" until early tomorrow morning.

Bad news is, if the recipient doesn't pick them up, protocol is to return-to-sender.

Which presents a problem. The internet really doesn't seem to address what to do about sending chicks BACK by mail. I've got to assume there are some rules like don't feed them after midnight or something that need to be followed to make it so they can survive another 72 hours in a box.

With any luck, they'll get to go home with one of the clerks tonight rather than get locked in a desk drawer or something. I can certainly cobble together a nursery for from-egg chicks, but I'm worried there are some "gotchas" that might affect their chances of survival if they do end up getting mailed across country a second time. It's hard for me to imagine they'd be better off left alone at room temp in their original box until that 72-hour mark, but how stressful will multiple changes in environment be? They've been in unheated trucks and warehouses for two days, just warming them back to brooder temperature is going to be a shock. How quickly can they acclimate? Is cold to hot to cold again better or worse than cold to chilly to cold? What about food and water? Do ducks get car sick? Or day/night light exposure?!

If they do end up having to go back to sender obviously a new box and bedding will be necessary but what else and does it change if it's tomorrow vs. next week?

THANK YOU!

Last edited:
I don't think they'll go into shock from getting warm, just make sure there's enough room in the brooder for them to get away from heat if they want. around 85 degrees on one end.
They likely will not make it the trip back and the hatchery will not accept them back for health reasons.
You can just give them water for now, hopefully their owner will figure out that they're here, but if you don't hear back by tomorrow, you might want to get some proper feed and look for a long term home. Boiled egg yolks are good in a pinch.

I don't think they'll go into shock from getting warm, just make sure there's enough room in the brooder for them to get away from heat if they want. around 85 degrees on one end.
They likely will not make it the trip back and the hatchery will not accept them back for health reasons.
You can just give them water for now, hopefully their owner will figure out that they're here, but if you don't hear back by tomorrow, you might want to get some proper feed and look for a long term home. Boiled egg yolks are good in a pinch.
My biggest concern was them getting all toasty warm when they potentially might be sent back out in the cold again. I told the clerks to put a soda bottle cap with some water in for them (and to expect it to get knocked over!) and it's sounding like they're going to get to go home with someone for the night, fingers crossed!

My biggest concern was them getting all toasty warm when they potentially might be sent back out in the cold again. I told the clerks to put a soda bottle cap with some water in for them (and to expect it to get knocked over!) and it's sounding like they're going to get to go home with someone for the night, fingers crossed!
The post office and the hatcheries really need to come up with a legal protocol for this type of thing. Something that saves little innocent lives.
Sending them back to the hatchery is pointless, and is a death sentence. It's a shame that they are undeliverable. I'm guessing something unforeseeable happened to the buyer. Sad all around.

What a dilemma!!! Hopefully the owners will be home to receive them tomorrow. I don't think you should try to ship them back to the hatchery. I agree they won't even take them. They haven't got a chance unless someone steps up to the plate and takes them in permanently. Poor babies.

I'd be bringing them home with me, living creatures are priority. I'd still be trying to reach the recipients, but those babies would be happy & cozy til then.

I hope all works out. Makes me wonder if you have their correct phone number, or if someone had an unfortunate emergency, in the hospital or something.

When my order of chicks came in, the post office bypassed me picking them up and sent them STRAIGHT to my local TSC. Even though I live 15 minutes from the post office and told them I was leaving right then, lol. Is it possible a local feed store could hang onto them for a bit without it being a problem? They'd have what's needed to keep them healthy until something can be worked out.

Years ago a guinea breeder reached out on BYC with a similar problem. It was only one town away from where I was so I drove to the PO to pick them up. Only problem they were on their way back to the distribution center in Denver. They called ahead and held them while I drove the 30 miles to town. All alive when I got home.
Hopefully the clerk keeps them.
Add a location jik someone on here can help out.

Website isn't liking my phone but I wanted to chime in with an update!

Attachments

• 20221221_201217.jpg
    20221221_201217.jpg
    840.5 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom