Help! Broody hen attacked her own chick

The Birb King

Bird is the word
Dec 10, 2022
Earth
Okay, so 3 weeks ago a serama hen went broody and was sitting on 3 eggs. Since then, some other eggs were laid in the nest and some other hens went broody. When the first chick hatched, I put her and it in a seperate cage in the coop. The second chick hatched the next day, and when I put it in with her, she pecked at it a little bit, but otherwise seemed fine with it. Then last night the third hatched, and it was pure white, and I was really exited about it. I put it in with her this morning and she seemed fine, it went under her, then I went inside. But when I came out this afternoon, I saw the new chick lying on the floor, most of the skin gone from its head. I thought it was dead at first, but it was still alive! I put it in the incubator to warm up, and took the mom away from the other 2 chicks. Another broody hen is with the chicks now, but it might just be best to put them in a brooder. The injured one is doing slightly better, walking and it's eyes are open now, but is there something I should put on the injury? I was really exited for some naturally raised serama chicks, but it's s shame that's ruined now. I will most likely put the other 2 in a brooder so they are safe. This is what the injured one looks like
20240515_154112.jpg

She didn't accept it, probably because it was too long between her being removed from the nest and that chick hatching. Especially if it was colored different than the others, that makes it just stick put even more as an intruder. She had bonded to and accepted the other two as her own

She didn't accept it, probably because it was too long between her being removed from the nest and that chick hatching. Especially if it was colored different than the others, that makes it just stick put even more as an intruder. She had bonded to and accepted the other two as her own
Yea that's kinda what I thought. She was always just a really chill hen, and I never expected her to do something like this.

Most hens bond/imprint on their chicks when they leave the nest. Any encountered after that are regarded as competition for resources. What your hen did was a rather common occurrence.

Yea that's kinda what I thought. She was always just a really chill hen, and I never expected her to do something like this.
It's not uncommon. That risk is why I don't take hens off eggs (unless that individual has proven to be a super accepting mother) until she has all the chicks I want her to raise. Especially if a chick is different looking than the others, birds can be quite particular on how they want their chicks to look

It's not uncommon. That risk is why I don't take hens off eggs (unless that individual has proven to be a super accepting mother) until she has all the chicks I want her to raise. Especially if a chick is different looking than the others, birds can be quite particular on how they want their chicks to look
Yea this Is very unfortunate. Although I love chicks to be raised naturally, I will no longer let a hen raise them unless it's an experienced hen i can absolutely trust

I've just had a hen attack and kill her first born and when another egg pipped she started attacking that chick before it could zip. She defended her nest with a passion though. Her first brood. She was raised by a broody hen herself so this was totally not expected. She killed one but not getting a chance now on the other 8. It pays to have an incubator ready and waiting.

I wonder if it can survive. It seemed to be doing slightly better and had its eyes open. Hopefully it's skin can regrow and it can heal

I've just had a hen attack and kill her first born and when another egg pipped she started attacking that chick before it could zip. She defended her nest with a passion though. Her first brood. She was raised by a broody hen herself so this was totally not expected. She killed one but not getting a chance now on the other 8. It pays to have an incubator ready and waiting.
Yes this hen was also raised by a broody. And was always good around chicks, even chicks from other hens, so this was not expected at all. I have her sister in with the chicks currently who is a better mother, but I will be putting the chicks in a brooder to make sure they are safe.

Back
Top Bottom