Help getting ready for cold front

Chickenheadmate

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2018
Mansfield, TX
With these temps, I was wondering if I should bring my hens in the garage with gets really cold or put some cardboard on the sides of the coop to block the cold air which is best?

Attachments

• FF7AC652-7EEC-4346-B0BF-1E0E74CF5EF6.png
    FF7AC652-7EEC-4346-B0BF-1E0E74CF5EF6.png
    973.2 KB · Views: 402
Heck, at those temperatures I wouldn't worry at all about my chickens. We're expecting temperatures in the -20s this week in NW Montana. I made sure the birds have lots of food and water. I have clear plastic on 3 sides of the run. The coop has lots of ventilation with no breezes. It's been a few years since it has been this cold but last time the birds did fine. They were outside in their run all day long pecking, and drinking, and eating, and doing normal chicken things.

With these temps, I was wondering if I should bring my hens in the garage with gets really cold or put some cardboard on the sides of the coop to block the cold air which is best?
Post pics of your coop and run.
Yes, they should have a place out of the winds for sure.

Heck, at those temperatures I wouldn't worry at all about my chickens. We're expecting temperatures in the -20s this week in NW Montana. I made sure the birds have lots of food and water. I have clear plastic on 3 sides of the run. The coop has lots of ventilation with no breezes. It's been a few years since it has been this cold but last time the birds did fine. They were outside in their run all day long pecking, and drinking, and eating, and doing normal chicken things.
This makes me feel so much better. I’m in KS and meteorologists keep saying “it’s going to be like North Dakota here!” Lots of drama, as usual, but we’re looking at a very windy -10F overnight (and temps are supposed to drop 20-30 degrees in just a couple of hours… during the day. 😬 THEN the wind will start blowing. so i’m glad to hear your flock in MT weathers it just fine. I also keep reminding myself that when it gets cold, it’s not like I find a bunch of dead blue jays in the yard, and they don’t even have a coop! Or me hand-delivering food and water! Pretty sure I’M going to hate life this week though! 😂

We’re supposed to get to 9 degrees overnight Thursday, and have highs in the 20s, too. I honestly worry more about the birds in August when it is over 100 degrees all the time. That being said, the coops in the southern areas are typically constructed for the heat not cold. -thinking that wrapping the open sides to shelter from wind, lining the flooring with coastal hay, and giving them scratch and corn before roost will be sufficient for us. I do get a little nervous, though, because our chickens aren’t used to these temps.

what is your regular temperature range, ie what are they used to? my hens do fine in very cold weather so far, it's gotten down to -17c overnight already, but it really depends what they're used to! if you can shelter them from the wind that will help!
We’re in Texas, so warm most of the time. Two of them are leghorn mix so with them being so small I’m worried they will get too cold and die

We’re in Texas, so warm most of the time. Two of them are leghorn mix so with them being so small I’m worried they will get too cold and die
We're about an hour north of you. I share your concerns because our birds just aren't used to the massive drop in temps, here. The bottom line for me is this: do whatever gives you peace of mind. If you bring them in, they'll be fine. If you leave them and block out the wind and make certain they have plenty of food, water, and bedding they should be fine, too.

Back
Top Bottom