Help! My baby chicks may have gotten too cold!!

cukooformarans

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2011
Alabama
I have 16 5-week-old tomorrow chicks in a wire off the ground pen outside. I was trying to get them to six weeks before I put them into what will be their permanent home, a 10 x 10 building that I shut at night with an open pasture (think less than 1 acre) during the day. However, last night we had a cold snap which I somehow did not realize we were going to have and the temp dropped to somewhere in the 40's. When I went out to check on the chicks, I saw that two were standing with their wings down and puffed out near the light. (I do have a heat lamp in the pen, but it is a small one b/c I didn't expect the cold!
sad.png
Is there anything I can do to help them???? I'm desperate and soooo sad I didn't pay more attention to the weather! As I mentioned before, it seemed to hit 2 harder than the rest, but they were two of the smaller ones although they are all the same age. There is one more that is not quite as energetic as usual, but not nearly so sad looking. I hope I'm not going to lose them!
sad.png
(((( I will definitely pay more attention to our night time forecasts in the future!

I would get her warmed up right away. If I find a cold chick, I slowly warm them with a blow dryer on low for a good five minutes. Then I give them a few drops of sugar water with a syringe. This helps get them moving. We had a cold snap here over night as well. I would also make sure the chicks in the brooder have enough warmth. I use a red bulb for colder weather. Good luck!

welcome-byc.gif
I'm not an expert as some of the folks here are but I'd say you're fine. I've got 76 three week olds and they're constantly sunning themselves under the light. They stretch out a leg and wing, leave it extended for quite a while. Chicks are hardy, they've been around for a long time without help from us so don't fret to much about it. The unexpected happens, just accept it and roll on:thumbsup

ive had a 60 watt bulb in with my 3-week olds for quite awhile now but lastnight i switched it back out with the big light...but i went out lastnight to check because that light is i think a 250 watt and it was reading at 100 degrees; so then i put in a 90 watt bulb...that did the trick...they seemed to be ok then....this weather is ridiculous!!! im a worry wart!!! but i love my babies...lol....

Update: Thanks so much everybody! I guess they are hardier than I gave them credit for. All chicks are fine. I did move them back to my brooder that is more enclosed and warmer and within a very short time everyone was back to normal. Now I've just got to get brave enough to try again!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom