Help! Silkie stuck egg, prolapse? Gross picture, sorry!

SGH

Songster
5 Years
Jun 13, 2018
Gilbert, Arizona
Six month old silky, I have three silky hens
720C94BC-8D67-4FE0-AC5F-839148FDD2FA.jpeg
720C94BC-8D67-4FE0-AC5F-839148FDD2FA.jpeg the same age. At least one started laying on Christmas, I have had three eggs so far. Noticed unusual behavior and this is what I find… Please help what do I do?

In your second post, is that an egg membrane sticking out of the vent? Can you try to pull it out? Can you feel an egg inside the vent, or are you just seeing a prolapsed vent? For a prolapse, it needs to be kept moist at all times, so the red tissue never dries out, which can cause the tissue to die. Honey, vegetable oil, plain sugar, are all good to put on a prolapse. If there is an egg inside, you will need to lubricate it and try to find the slit or opening of the vent to maneuver the egg out. A prolapse can happen with or without an egg stuck, so can you tell which it is? It may help to give your hen a calcium tablet or Tums in the back of her beak, or crushed into some egg or yogurt. Let us know what you are seeing.

Is that a membrane sticking out of her vent? Let us know what happens. If I am not online later, there are others that can offer help. Here is another video by the same person in the first one who tells what happened later, and answers questions:

Thank you for the video, it helped a great deal. I was able to clean her up good and it was pretty easy to slide the membrane back and release the egg. I believe this happened this afternoon, and I don’t think she was in as bad shape as the hen in the video.

The hardest part was finding the place where the membrane opened. The video was a huge help in knowing that there would be an opening there, but my hens opening wasn’t dialated nearly like the hen in the video and it was extremely hard for me to locate.

Fingers crossed she will be okay, but I’m not very optimistic after hearing it may happen again with the next egg :(

Thanks so much again for the help

Thank you for the video, it helped a great deal. I was able to clean her up good and it was pretty easy to slide the membrane back and release the egg. I believe this happened this afternoon, and I don’t think she was in as bad shape as the hen in the video.

The hardest part was finding the place where the membrane opened. The video was a huge help in knowing that there would be an opening there, but my hens opening wasn’t dialated nearly like the hen in the video and it was extremely hard for me to locate.

Fingers crossed she will be okay, but I’m not very optimistic after hearing it may happen again with the next egg :(

Thanks so much again for the help
Keep her in a dark, warm room with no feed for the rest of the night to restrict laying.

Back
Top Bottom