HELP: What kind of heat source do I give my outside pond?

larlar0000

Hatching
Dec 18, 2019
Hello all! I am new.

I have 3 Oranda Goldfish that need temps higher than 60 F. However, I cannot find a 300 gallon pond heater. I only see "de-icers" that circulate the water, but not heat it. I was hoping any fish/pond outside experts can give some knowledge to my situation.

MUCH appreciation,

God bless.

Is your 300 gallon pond outside? Depending on the ambient temperature of where you keep the pond, you may need a LOT of wattage to heat the 300 gallons up to your desired temperature. What's the average ambient temperature of where you have the pond?

I leave my goldfish and koi in my 1500 gallon pond over the winter, and even though some ice usually forms on the surface of the pond, the fish are fine near the bottom. It definitely drops below 60 degrees, but the metabolism of the fish is slowed, so I usually stop feeding them in the fall, and begin feeding them again in the spring.

Is your 300 gallon pond outside? Depending on the ambient temperature of where you keep the pond, you may need a LOT of wattage to heat the 300 gallons up to your desired temperature. What's the average ambient temperature of where you have the pond?

I leave my goldfish and koi in my 1500 gallon pond over the winter, and even though some ice usually forms on the surface of the pond, the fish are fine near the bottom. It definitely drops below 60 degrees, but the metabolism of the fish is slowed, so I usually stop feeding them in the fall, and begin feeding them again in the spring.

Thank you for your advice, I will take that into consideration and think it over. The pond is outside, and I am not sure what the ambient temperature is.

I might take them out and put them in a tank, just to be safe.

I appreciate it, thank you.

By ambient temperature, I just mean what the temperature is outside, but not the temperature in the pond itself. The ambient temperature is needed to calculate how many watts you need to heat the pond to your desired temperature.

Back
Top Bottom