hen laying soft eggs and acting weird

mskeisha18

Hatching
Jul 2, 2020
my almost 2 year old hen has laid 2 soft shelled eggs in a row (two separate days, not two in one day) and after laying these, she still acts like shes needing to lay but doesnt. she isnt typically a daily layer and i keep her on a natural diet but due to me recently moving had to get her commercial laying feed and it caused her to lay a lot more than usual and i assume thats the cause? i make sure she has all the nutrients she needs and im very careful about it. maybe her body is stripping more calcium than its used to i dont know but i want to know if this is normal or if its a deeper issue than her diet.

I have my hens on a large pasture with commercial layer pellets plus ground oyster shells available all day and I still find the occasional rubber egg. I can't see how my chickens aren't getting sufficient calcium with what they're getting but there it is.

my almost 2 year old hen has laid 2 soft shelled eggs in a row (two separate days, not two in one day) and after laying these, she still acts like shes needing to lay but doesnt. she isnt typically a daily layer and i keep her on a natural diet but due to me recently moving had to get her commercial laying feed and it caused her to lay a lot more than usual and i assume thats the cause? i make sure she has all the nutrients she needs and im very careful about it. maybe her body is stripping more calcium than its used to i dont know but i want to know if this is normal or if its a deeper issue than her diet.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Soft shelled eggs might mean she needs more calcium....and/or the other nutrients that allows her to uptake and apply that calcium.

Welcome to BYC! @mskeisha18
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1593723268282.png

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Soft shelled eggs might mean she needs more calcium....and/or the other nutrients that allows her to uptake and apply that calcium.

i alternate between buying like.. parrot and other bird seed and going to stores like sprouts and personally choosing grains and for protein and calcium she just eats bugs outside, occasionally egg shell, and whatever snacks i give her i make sure the snacks are packed with good nutrients. i just grabbed some oyster shell and hopefully that helps.

i alternate between buying like.. parrot and other bird seed and going to stores like sprouts and personally choosing grains and for protein and calcium she just eats bugs outside, occasionally egg shell, and whatever snacks i give her i make sure the snacks are packed with good nutrients. i just grabbed some oyster shell and hopefully that helps.
Well, by not giving her chicken specific nutrients, do not expect good eggs.
Just adding oyster shell may, or more likely will not, 'fix' her problem.
Commercial poultry feeds have a balanced mix of vitamins, minerals, amino acids.

Well, by not giving her chicken specific nutrients, do not expect good eggs.
Just adding oyster shell may, or more likely will not, 'fix' her problem.
Commercial poultry feeds have a balanced mix of vitamins, minerals, amino acids.
the chicken food is what threw her body off.

Back
Top Bottom