Hen sneezing

banjoellen

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2019
This evening my Easter Egger hen has started sneezing almost nonstop. At least I think it’s a sneeze - it’s a very loud honking noise! If she was a human I’d definitely call it a sneeze. She also sounds congested when I listen to her chest and I’ve maybe heard a cough or two (I don’t really know what a chicken cough sounds like, it may just be a small sneeze). No watery eyes or runny nose that I can see, and she otherwise appears okay. My young rooster did it a couple times this morning but not since then, but the hen has been going for about an hour now. I’ve separated her and have been reading online, and from what I can tell she probably needs antibiotics, but I can’t seem to find good information about what kind of antibiotic to use or where to get it. Are the antibiotics I need even available OTC anymore? If not is there an alternative that I can get at TSC or a similar place? For now I have put some ACV and honey in her water. Thank you for any advice!

I dont believe it's a respiratory disease. It might be something in the environment causing the sneezing, for example; soiled bedding causing ammonia fumes, improper ventilation, feed dust, dust from dust bathing, feed granule stuck in nasal cavity (I had it happen.)
Other sources; pesticide use, dander, pollen, air sac mites, something stuck in the trachea.
Most of these issues can be corrected or eliminated.

I dont believe it's a respiratory disease. It might be something in the environment causing the sneezing, for example; soiled bedding causing ammonia fumes, improper ventilation, feed dust, dust from dust bathing, feed granule stuck in nasal cavity (I had it happen.)
Other sources; pesticide use, dander, pollen, air sac mites, something stuck in the trachea.
Most of these issues can be corrected or eliminated.
Thank you, I really hope that’s the case. She does seem to have stopped right before I put her to bed last night, after I forced some water with a little ACV and honey. I keep the coop cleaned out (scoop out droppings daily) but I did introduce some hay into the coop yesterday (finally got nesting boxes set up and put hay into them), where I’ve only used pine shavings up till now. Except, when they were babies I had the same hay in their brooder for a few days with no problems... but that’s the only thing that’s changed, so maybe that’s it. I appreciate your reply, it makes me feel a lot better!

If the sneezing continues today and tomorrow every few minutes, it could be a virus called infectious bronchitis, the most common respiratory disease. You may also notice some clear nasal drainage that causes the nostril to collect dirt. IB spreads through the flock quickly, so if more start this, you may want to get testing. IB does not respond to antibiotics, and it lasts around a month. Some hens can experience wrinkled egg shells and watery albumen or egg whites.

Back
Top Bottom