Hen wheezing panting sneezing watery poop

Jul 30, 2021
I noticed yesterday that one of my hens was panting. Her neck expands very far when she breaths. She has also been sneezing a lot. She pooped and it was very stringy and white. She is eating and acting normal other than that. I just gave her some oatmeal with oregano and some water with colloidal silver. Does anyone know anything about this???

Also, the panting seems worse when I pick her up. She also seems very hungry but her crop is full (not to hard though). Could this be related to mites?

Last edited:
A video would help ... You put in on to YouTube then link it here.
You say her crop is full but not hard. Check her crop in the evening (should be full) then again in the morning (should be empty).
Have you checked her for mites? Look thru her feathering (under wings, vent area, neck) you can also (at nite) run your hands along the roost or into the depths of the nest box, do you feel crawling on your arms?
She pants worst when you pick her up cause she gets "alarmed/excited". Asking your location to get an idea of weather conditions/temps.

How old is she?
How long has she had these symptoms?
Where are you located?
Have you changed bedding in the nest box? Coop?
Any changes made in the flock?
Has she ever been wormed? If so when & with what.

A video would help ... You put in on to YouTube then link it here.
You say her crop is full but not hard. Check her crop in the evening (should be full) then again in the morning (should be empty).
Have you checked her for mites? Look thru her feathering (under wings, vent area, neck) you can also (at nite) run your hands along the roost or into the depths of the nest box, do you feel crawling on your arms?
She pants worst when you pick her up cause she gets "alarmed/excited". Asking your location to get an idea of weather conditions/temps.

How old is she?
How long has she had these symptoms?
Where are you located?
Have you changed bedding in the nest box? Coop?
Any changes made in the flock?
Has she ever been wormed? If so when & with what.
I actually don't have youtube so I can't post a video. I will definitely check her crop tomorrow morning. She might have mites. We recently lost one bird that had a ton, and another one for impacted crop but the vet said she was very anemic. Today we dusted the whole flock with permethrin, so hopefully that helps. Our weather is not normally to cold. It did snow the other night but melted throughout the day. We have had a heat light in the coop since around December, so it's not to cold. However the coop does get damp inside, which is a problem we are trying to deal with. I don't know if that could cause a respiratory issue. She's also pretty old, around 7 or 8 I think. A couple days ago I took all the bedding out of the whole coop and dusted it with permethrin. I covered the dust with shavings and put some DE in there, but I also kept a window open for ventilation. And no, I do not think she has ever been wormed. I'm am also curious about why she is acting very hungry even though she has been eating. I know impacted crop can cause hunger and breathing difficulties, but I don't think that's what it is.

It's very possible the "dust" from the new bedding & DE is a cause for her sneezing. It's good that you opened the windows, not good for you to breath either. Depending how "damp" the coop gets, it maybe causing some issues ... mold/mildew. Do you have enough ventilation?

Great that you treated the flock & coop with permethrin, you need to retreat (eggs hatch) in about think was 7 - 10 days. I'd continue for at least a month to be sure. What did you do with the "old" shavings ... burn?

This is a good website, check it out ...
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/respiratory-tract-infection

It's very possible the "dust" from the new bedding & DE is a cause for her sneezing. It's good that you opened the windows, not good for you to breath either. Depending how "damp" the coop gets, it maybe causing some issues ... mold/mildew. Do you have enough ventilation?

Great that you treated the flock & coop with permethrin, you need to retreat (eggs hatch) in about think was 7 - 10 days. I'd continue for at least a month to be sure. What did you do with the "old" shavings ... burn?

This is a good website, check it out ...
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/respiratory-tract-infection
There is a big window that I always keep open, so I think the ventilation is fine. We didn't burn the old shavings, we checked them in a compost pile, but I really wish we burned them instead. We applied more permethrin in the coop and topped off the shaving but didn't replace them this time. I will look at the website, thank you.

So this morning, she apparently was trying to lay an egg (I was not there to witness it), and I think it was a rubber one (with only the membrane). This is very weird because she is 7 or 8 years old and hasn't laid in probably two years, and before she stopped completely she wasn't very reliable as she aged. Anyone have any idea why she would start laying now???

Back
Top Bottom