Here We Go Again. Bloody Stool!

Frizzlett98

Songster
9 Years
Jun 22, 2014
Southwest Virginia
After battling coccidiosis and worms for a few weeks, losing 1 chick and almost losing another, but thinking it was now under control, I have a hen who is pooping nothing but blood. She has had one dose of dewormer (fenbendazole), second dose due tomorrow. We’ve treated for Cocci with toltrazuril. She is 8 months old. Still laying eggs as of yesterday. She laid down most of the day yesterday and again this morning. I haven’t seen her eat but she does drink. She’s normally pretty mean and chases everyone else around, but today it’s like she doesn’t even notice them. I noticed she had runny poo so I got a sample. Blood. Blood and bubbles. I’m going to treat her with fenbendazole for 5 days and see if that kicks it. Along with 3 days of Toltra. Any ideas if it’s not worms or cocci? I’m so sick of them being sick 😞 I have looked at her poo under a microscope, and worms are evident but not horribly compared to the samples before treatment. Since I’m not a vet, I definitely could be overlooking something. But what I know how to identify with the microscope has saved some of my chickens lives. Also, there are no vets near me who see chickens, so that’s not an option before anyone suggests it. All it does is make me feel helpless and frustrated that none of our vets care about these guys. The closest vet that does is over an hour away, maybe more.

Photos of the poop?

Any chance she's had a prolapse or injury to the vent?

Hopefully the medications will help. Look into Enteritis as well, this may be causing some bloody poop.

Photos of the poop?

Any chance she's had a prolapse or injury to the vent?

Hopefully the medications will help. Look into Enteritis as well, this may be causing some bloody poop.

No prolapse or injuries. I don’t have pictures of the poop. She didn’t eat much yesterday so I didn’t see her poop anymore. She did start eating again last night, though. She stood at the feeder and chowed down for almost 10 minutes. She’s continuing to eat this morning just smaller amounts more frequently, which is pretty normal for her. I’ll definitely look into enteritis!

Back
Top Bottom